What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. roseana gemmae already?

I have some D. roseana that I started in the fall. One of them has started looking different and I think it is forming gemmae.

Do I need to do something different with the one plant? This is my first pygmy and really my first spring with carnivorous plants.

Thanks in advance.

edit - In the second picture the one in question is all the way to the right.

Is that Roseana or Pygmaea??

It's not D. roseana for sure...looks like D. pygmaea and i see no gemmae yet...your plant looks more like is going dormant than making gemmae.

I must have looked at the wrong tag, or mixed it up with the D. roseana. I have both, and they were planted at the same time.

Thanks for your input. Do they need less water when going dormant? The other plants are still growing fast, is it ok if the plant going dormant still gets water? Thanks again. :D

How much you want to bet it turns out to be Lake Badgerup?

I looked at the wrong tag. It was D. pygmaea. They are the only two I have.

Well...you can never bet against L.B. ,can you? I know i won't! I got so many plants with different id that turmed out to be L.B. in the end....
Is it possible to get a close clear shot of one of the leaves?

I looked at the wrong tag. It was D. pygmaea. They are the only two I have.

This is also labeled D. pygmaea... but it isn't:

Picture019-2.jpg

It;s always fairly impossible for me to ID the pygmys without flower shots, but this looks good for D. pygmae. This species was highly sensitive to wet during the dormant stage in my collection so I would suggest that you aim for surface dryness if the plant is indeed going dormant while retaining moisture deeper in the root ball. I can;t determine if this is going dormant or making gemmae but if making gemmae keep it on the wet side. I also remember that Drosera roseana was noted for occasionally making gemmae out of season, sometimes during the longest days of summer.

Thanks for all the input. I will try to get the tripod and larger camera out later this week to get a good close up. :D

Well, it almost looks like gemmae, but you should try teasing one with a toothpick. If it appears to be a dormant leaf, then you'll know for sure...
Also, the way your leaves are folding up makes me think you have root rot, or whatever was wrong with my D. nitidula x pulchella this spring. Here's a pic of mine when a few plants out of the bunch had problems:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/droseraman/?action=view&current=IMG_0288.jpg
I have since repotted them into a large container, increased the photoperiod, and all but 1 made it. They look better than ever now. It was just odd that only 2 plants were affected. That is why I think you have a similar situation, as just one of your plants seem to be curling up.

Thanks for the tip. I will let the tray go dry before refilling now.

Sounds good. Just so you know in advance, it may take a while to snap out of it. I have had some success using perlite with a few pygmies, but overall, I've found that silica sand really prevents those symptoms from showing up. Just keep in mind that many people have great success with perlite. In my growing conditions, I have never had much luck with it... Not sure how tall your pot is, but in my experience, the taller, the better, regardless of what mix I use. The container I transplanted my once "rotting" D. nitidula x pulchella into is over 9 inches tall. Just something to keep in mind for future gemmae...

Back