What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

!Flowers! (Pics)

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
I just came home and found my D. nitidula x pulchella open. 4 very nice flowers!

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

An utric:
IMG_4160.jpg

Cute! Very nice quality, love the utric too :)

Thanks. It's a U. longifolia. ;)

IMG_4172.jpg

wow, huuuuuuuuuge leaf! hopefully mine will get that long!

I'm sure you wanted to write omissa x pulchella....not nitidula x pulchella...really nice flowers!

I'm sure you wanted to write omissa x pulchella....not nitidula x pulchella...really nice flowers!

Nerd :D Haha jkkjk..

Nice flower pictures on the Drosera! Right time at the Right place

Great job!

Thanks guys.

Mark - are you sure? I bought it a few years ago from a reputable company.

I bought a lot of species from a lot of "reputable" nurseries and many are not what they say they are! Most of them get gemmae from different sources, grow them and sell them before they flower and don't get a accurate id on them....i can't find other explanation for the plants with bad id that they sell....i just refuse to believe that some of them don't know the difference between 2 very common hybrids or between a pulchella and an omissa hybrid...the list i much longer so i'm going to stop here!
Can you please email me the seller name?...i just have a feeling that i know who you're tralking about.
When nitidula is involved in a hybrid it's easy to see beacuse of the red stigmas that the flower will have. Your plants have the flowers of an omissa but it's clearly not the pure specie since the stigmas are longger wich shows the pulchella implication.
You can also post some pics on the identification thread and see what others will say.

When nitidula is involved in a hybrid it's easy to see beacuse of the red stigmas that the flower will have. Your plants have the flowers of an omissa but it's clearly not the pure specie since the stigmas are longger wich shows the pulchella implication.

Incredible! I did not know that.

You can also post some pics on the identification thread and see what others will say.

Nah, it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

I bought a lot of species from a lot of "reputable" nurseries and many are not what they say they are!

It's fairly simple for a "reputable" nursery to have mix ups when that nursery has an open sales and showroom where people will pull the labels out of the pots to read them and either not replace them or mix them up.

That's why the curator at the Huntington doesn't want people touching the labels of the pots in the greenhouse.

As far as properly identifying these plants you need to wait for them to flower and compare them to Lowrie's orginal drawings and descriptions. Since these books are long out of print and command very steep prices on the used market not many people have access to them.

You have a half point there on the labels comment... but looking at the leaves how can you confuse nitidula x pulchella with omissa x pulchella when you grow both for some time? ...or Lake Badgerup with patens? We all make mistakes. I make mistakes but one is to make a mistake and other to not know what you're selling even when the plant is in flower!
More than a point on the books...they are really expensive!!! I haven't seen one under 200$.

Back