What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regias

The Regia

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

The 'Big Easy'

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

Absolutely amazing :D

I wish I was experienced enough to grow the King Sundew : /

Stunning regia :clap: i might give a shot at one of these and some others this season

WOW your D. regia pictures are always awesome.
Your old pics of D. 'Big Easy' are one of the main reasons I had to get this plant.
great work

wow! Nice pics!

Very awesome, I've always wanted a regia

Nice shots, Quogue!
And...a great, tasty-looking measuring stick as well.. :)

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Your plant in the first picture has a really nice red tint that mine never had. Are these being grown outdoors?

King sundews seem to get the "gooiest" of all sundews don't they?

Wow, very nice! :bigthumpup:

That looks real good! What are its conditions and treatment? Mine has been on a window sill for the past several months, south-facing, getting a modest temp differential, watered from above, 3x a week. It's in a perpetual state of one leaf emerging; one leaf peaking, and one leaf declining. The length of the leaves is gradually increasing. It exists but doesn't thrive.

Picture017-1.jpg

Thanks everybody!
The measuring stick is indeed tasty, more of em you have, the better they taste!
Both of em are grown indoors under high lighting which gives em more goo.

Might be too warm and/or too wet Jimscott... I'm not sure.
I grow mine cool, naturally in the winter & a/c'ed in the summer with a loose mix. I usually let the water tray mostly dry out in between waterings and they get a lot of light!
Hope that helps maybe...

It's room temp and watered every couple days. Mine is only getting window sill light, so that's probably the only real difference. I'll move it to where it will get both window and artificial lighting. It probably should go outside for the latter part of spring, summer, and early fall, right?

Checked the photo last night (can't view pics at work)

Might be a bit wet, The mix looks a bit soggy. I'd loosen it up a bit maybe. Hard to tell from an intynet photo.

But it's really seems to be not getting enough light.
I grow mine under 6 T8's with the leaves up into the lights sometimes.

I know they like it cool and do not like it to be over 75F for too long.
Not sure what your outdoor temps are upstate there... but I myself am too worried about Racoons & Squirrels to put anything outside that's not enclosed.

Hope that helps, any other questions please ask away!

I doubt it's wet. The tray is dry more than it's holding watered. I do notice that light reflects off LFS, giving the impression that it's more moist than it is. I have it now under a Grolite, by a window. That's the best i can do for it. Indoor temps will be in the low 70's. Out here is a good 7 degrees colder than the Island. It's literally 33 degrees right now! My plants outdoors will be on the second floor porch, so no mammalian critters will get into them. No aphids, either. The plant right next to it on the rack is this:

Picture007-3.jpg

Well that plant looks happy! The Regia should do well for ya there then...
Never had a problem with aphids for these guys (knocks on wood)
Last year aphids attacked the Capes & Flytraps right next to the Regias but left them alone.
Too dewey for em maybe?

Those D. capillaris "long arm" are doing great. It looks like my pot of which I sent you about half of last year. It looks like you're due for a healthy crop of seed too. Pass them around, that's Dr. Frankensynder's evil plan.

Seed from plants of D. burmanii "Beerwah" that he field collected and distributed eventually made it back to him.

I believe that many D. regia growers feel that a nightly temperature drop is appreciated.

Really nice plant.
Even better, though, is Samuel Adams. YUM
(I'd recognize that label anywhere.)

That's the very same colony of 'Long Arm'. I have yet to perceive any seeds, covered or uncovered, cultivated or left alone, germinate.

Picture004.jpg

Is it normal for D. regia to bend around its prey? I came home to feeding fest amongst the sundews and butterworts. The D. regia had 4 winged critters and was erect at that time. But this morning the leaf is bent over 90 degrees, still full of dew, apparently not stressed out.

Back