What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae too dry?

While repotting my D. adelae recently I noticed way down toward the bottom of the pot the roots had many little plantlets growing on them.
I have always wondered why these form way down deep where they can’t reach the surface. I rarely get new plants breaking the surface.
Could my pots be too tall / my water level too low?
The pots I have them in are about 5” tall, and the water tray level about 1.5”.
Think it’s too dry near the surface?
The plants seem to do well, but not great.
I have them sitting in a bright north window and the leaves have that nice red tinge.
Les

I think your setup is adequate, water level and all. They don't need as much light as most sundews. A south, east, or west window would help, though.

Thanks.
I only have the north facing window in my office, no other choices.

Is the pot that you're growing them in a clear plastic/glass or a solid opaque color?

Little plant-lets will attempt to grow under the surface of a clear pot as they can "see" the light.

Maybe you can obtain some artificial lighting?

My pots are opaque.
I had them under lights when I first brought them to work, but the boss eventually started complaining about paying for the electricity to run my lights.
Cheapskate.

Hah. You should tell him that he can bill you for the cost of running the lights - at commercial electricity rates running a few fluorescent bulbs costs dollars a month, if that much. Sounds like a fun workplace. :D
Your conditions sound OK to me. D. adelae is just a little quirky about where it likes to make offsets. Pick them off and plant them on the surface and they'll be fine. Think of the buried sides as 400% extra grow space for propagating plantlets.
~Joe

Actually it's a pretty good place to work, the boss is just a little cheap.
He loves it when I ride my electric bike to work but after a couple of weeks starts complaining about the electricity to charge my batteries.
Oh well.
Maybe I need to start feeding my dews.
Oh wait... that's another thread.:D

Back