What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundafolia seeds

This spring I bought some D. rotundafolia seed off of ebay. I was told they had been refrigerated all winter ( I'm assuming dry). My questions are 1. what are the chances they will germinate with no 'wet' winter. 2. will the seed last in their soil (lfs) through summer heat then germinate next year after wet cold statifaction this winter. Thanks for your replies in advance. Jack

Unrefrigerated almost all carnivorous plant seeds have limited viability. A few months at the most. Your best bet is either to stratify them now (cold and damp conditions) for 4-5 weeks or keep them cold stored until next Dec/Jan/Feb and stratify them. Germinating them in June might be pushing it as far as a growing season goes. You might be able to get away with growing them under lights and skipping dormancy the first year.

Just to clarify, storage is cold and fry. To germinate, you do cold stratification, which is cold and damp. What I have done is put seeds in sealed plastic containers, in the butter keeper.

Back