What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Drosera Capensis has stopped producing tentacles

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
For some reason, my Drosera Capensis has stopped producing tentacles. The plant is pretty small and I'm not sure what's wrong. It's growing in peat soil (no fertilizer). It gets watered with distilled water about twice a week. And it gets an hour or two of direct sun a day, the rest of the time is partially sunny.

What's the problem?

This is what a Drosera Capensis should look like:
DroseraCapensis-1.jpg

This is what mine looks like:
sickDroseraCapensis1.jpg

It looks like the humidity and unsufficient light have had its toll on it. If you keep it super damp for a bit and keep it in one spot it should be fine. I have heard of people having these plants die back completly to the root then come back. I have never had this problem so I can only suggest. I am currently putting an entire colony of capensis outside now that it is in the seventies. They are doing fine. Yours does look like a broad leaf though. it could be etoliation?

when you say 1-2 hours of direct sun, what do you mean. I thouht that capensis liked lots of sun. I don't know how much, as mine is growing fine on a 13-14 hour photoperiod in my room.

It looks like the humidity and unsufficient light have had its toll on it. If you keep it super damp for a bit and keep it in one spot it should be fine. I have heard of people having these plants die back completly to the root then come back. I have never had this problem so I can only suggest. I am currently putting an entire colony of capensis outside now that it is in the seventies. They are doing fine. Yours does look like a broad leaf though. it could be etoliation?

Mine is actually the narrow-leaf variety and it looked very healthy when it arrived last summer.

I'm starting to think maybe it's too hot (80s here in Florida)

I highly doubt it's too hot. Mine grow outside in full sun year-round in california and they grow straight through the heat waves.

I would say the problem is definitely light deprivation. If it's supposed to be narrow leaf, the reason why it's putting out broader leaves is to capture more light.

Agreed. Light. And IMO, a little bit more water might seem helpful.

But is it me, or do you seem to have constant problems with your CPs? o_O

Agreed. Light. And IMO, a little bit more water might seem helpful.

But is it me, or do you seem to have constant problems with your CPs? o_O

My Cephalotus is thriving ???

If I had to guess, I'd say sun. Perhaps finding a sunnier window or adding some artificial lights to the mix?

Yeah heat is definitely not the issue. I grew one outdoors all year,in summer we had a week long period of 100 degree weatherand it didn't phase it...it even flowered during that time. I even grew one through the winter, snow and hard freezes, everything washington could dish out. It died back in winter but has 3 growth points now

You should also keep it in a tray with water like sarrs, remember these plants like damp conditions, and they called sundews for a reason.

Okay, I just watered the soil to the point of being waterlogged. In addition, I placed it in an area where it gets like 5 hours of direct sunlight

If it really is etiolated, expect some leaf burn and die off with that move ahmad.
My caps get full direct sun from 10 or so in the morning, to around 4 in the afternoon. then somewhat direct, partial shaded sun from 4 till nightfall

Mine gets partial sun 7-10, 10-3 Direct and rest partial till nightfall.. and trust me i've been outside, its really hot now... 90s 100s :( so i dont think heat has to do with it.

It's prob. just sun. try to give it as much as possible :3

Actually, i went outside today, and noticed BOTH my capensis have stopped too! (All red and Broad Leaf) I don't know why, all the plants around it are thriving (its in a bog) but the capensis.... aren't. One (Broad Leaf) Has a flower stalk with a triple mutated flower that looks like a trident. The all red does not, but they look like Ahmands, exept with older leaves.... It's weird. o.o Are they crowded out by the taller drosera? (D.California's Sunset and D.Filformis spp. Filmormis) or shaded out by sarracenia. I highly doubt the shaded out because Brokken's mini-bogs are filled with capensis and binata and mostly shaded out...
I highly doubt their too dry since I flood the bog every 2 days... maybe too much water?
The water is fine because other plants in the bog are fine, and I buying from vending machines :3 25c/gal.

Any ideas?

I'd say it's the heat now that both you and Ahmad are having trouble. You both live in hot climates.

ry doing a ph test on your peat moss,not all peat mosses are created equal.

I stand by my statement that heat is not the issue, especially in florida where it is most likely a very humid heat.

If the heat is harming them, it's because of your growing practice. I would suggest that you move to the deep tray system on all your sarracenia and drosera. Not only does it keep them watered, but it substantially cools their roots.

Try tray watering and more light and see if that doesn't cheer it up.

Jason

Back