What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you grow South American Sundews?

I've been reading some CP books about South American sundews, and now I want to grow them, especially D. villosa, graogolomensis, and meristocaulis(That's how you spell them, right?) Unfortunately, my books have almost no info on growing these! Is there a website or book that covers this seemingly mysterious part of the genus? Or even better, is there any experts or otherwise on this forum that can give advise on these dews? Thanks!

Aslan

i have very little experience (about 3 monts to be exactl), but they really aren't hard at all!
I use the open tray method, but many prefer growing them in terraria.
They are growing in the same conditions as all my other sundews- D. capensis, D. regia, D. rotundifolia and D. admirabilis, to name a few random ones... They just need the proper media- and make sure the media never dries out.
Although they are said to prefer cooler temperatures, they handle the warmer temps well, as long as there is high humidity (temps for me are 80 in day and 70 at night). They are the dewiest with little or no air movement and 75% humidity or above. Feeding will speed up these "slow" growers a considerable amount! Finally, they love light, so put them within inches of your lights (if you use them). I will have a little section on my site soon about these guys, to cover things in more detail.
obviously, you will most likely get a response from a more experienced grower, but until then, this is filler material ;)

I grow D. graminifolia on a window sill. Very little nighttime temp drop, and it's thriving.

I'm sure the others could be different though.

Thanks guys! I'm trying to construct a highland terrarium for Heliamphora, highland Neps, some tuberous and pygmy sundews in the winter, and Utricularias from the tepuis and I was wondering if these guys would also like these conditions. I found that some actually grow on the tepuis with the Helis, which should have been obvious to me at first. :headwall: Thanks for the help!

Good growing!
Aslan

pygmy sundews should do very well with Helis (I'm not a nep guy ;) ) since they like cooler temps. However, tuberous can prove to be tricky, but you might as well try it out with some easier kinds first, and see what happens.

My D. ascendens and D. villosa is cultivated in 70% shadow. The substrat is sphagnum moss with 30% of sand. Tall pot is necessary.
But, for me also is very difficult to maintain some species like D. graminifolia, D. graomogolensis, etc.
Hope to help a little.

Back