What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. nidiformis's susceptablity to fungi

I've been doing some research on D. nidiformis, since I'll be gaining some seeds of the species from CPlantaholic's major seed giveaway, (Thanks a whole lot!), and I found that some websites say that the plant is quite susceptable to a fungus that makes it lose its dew and turns its leaves red.

Can anyone comfirm/deny this?

All help is appreciated!

just got a small nidiformis, i'll keep my eyes peeled, thanks for the heads up:)

good luck on your research!

Hmm...

I've had some D. adelae fall victim to that "syndrome". They lost their dew, stopped growing, and their leaves became mottled with purple-red pigmentation. I had no clue it was a fungal issue.

I don't know specifically about D. nidiformis, but most CP's can be harmed but nasty fungus' and molds, especially when they're young and/or seedlings...

That's why I'm hardcore against fungus. I use alcohol and Neem Oil (separately of course) to combat and destroy fungus' on plants and in the soil.

I've found that D. nidiformis is prone to root rot as well (if given weak light), so I potted up my plants in a tall pot- 6-8 inches high, in a good-draining peat:sand mix, and I've never had any cases of fungus. However, the leaves do turn red when you give it enough light (and don't feed it for a while) but they have plenty of dew!

I agree with Aaron. Given enough light, root rot is not an issue. I have mine in a 4.5 inch pot and keep the water level fairly high because I have an intermedia in there as well. They seem to be doing fine, and I have not have a problem with fungus. In fact, one of them is sending up a stalk. I use a basic peat and perlite mix and grow them under strong T5 lighting.

Phil

Would this growing setup be good for them?

16-hour photoperiod, a little over 5 inches under two 100w standard CFL's, in a 6-inch pot with other sundews, the soil mix being standard peat:sand, and with the water level being at 1- 1.25 inches.

Sounds good to me. Honestly, this is one of the easier sundews to grow. You'll be fine!

'K.

Thanks all!!!

P.S.- Got the seeds today. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them to germinate!

Back