What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with my Byblis Liniflora?

Hi all! I got some Byblis liniflora seeds 2 months back, and planted them in 2:1 sand: peat in a 4" wide and sightly deeper pot and put them in a lowlandish terrarium. The temps were 80-90 with high humidity. Of the 20, 5 sprouted, and 1 died. They were almost 1/4" tall when we got the last frost of the year, and I decided that they were good to go outside. They stayed under a porch overhang for 3 weeks, where it wasn't full sun, but indirect sun. Then I moved the pot out next to my D. Binatas and Capensis' in full sun. I didn't have an extra water tray for them at the time, so I just watered them every time they looked too dry.
Well, since they went outside, they haven't grown a bit! They're staying a consistent 1/4" tall,not looking dead or wilted or anything, just NOT GROWING! 1 month ago I just put it off as they were growing a more extensive root system. But 1 month later, I'm a little worried. It usually gets up to 80 in the hottest part of the day, with 60 at night, high humidity all the time. They dried out several times, but only for less than an hour. Extremes they dealt with are 40-90 degrees. Are they supposed to do this, and if they aren't, what's wrong? I might just put them back in the terrarium and see if that'll help. Maybe the night's are too cold? CAN SOMEONE HELP ME!?!?And my Byblis',too, of course.

Thanks!
Aslan

I'm not very experienced with Byblis, but it sounds like they may have been shocked by the transition to cold outdoor weather. You started them in a lowland terrarium, so they probably would've stalled even if you just moved them out right now into an 80-60 degree environment. I tried Byblis seed outside one Spring and didn't see anything pop up until I got two plants in late Summer; I think these guys dislike both frost and near-frost weather.
I would leave them as they are if they haven't wilted or anything. You've got the whole Summer ahead, and Byblis are annuals so you'll get seeds soon after they start growing again. Next time around you can try growing some seed indoors and some outdoors and see what works best in your area.
~Joe

I have B. liniflora growing pretty well in conditions very similar to yours (5 degrees warmer), so I agree with seedjar that your plants are probably still adjusting to the transition.

Thanks everyone! I'll give them several more months and see if they adjust.

Good Growing!
Aslan

Back