What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is My Sundew Being Cooked?

My sundew I got from Lowe's used to produce the nice dew and look nice. Then I started putting it outside since it got warmer out. My other plants transitioned nicely, like my VFTs and pitcher plants, but this plant now looks like this, with no dew, and wiry whateveryoucallemthatholdthedew.

IMG_3021.jpg

If I keep it out, will it adjust and grow new leaves, or should I just keep it in a window?

Do you know which species it is? The Picture doesn't work. If you got it recently, i'd say thats normal, as it is probably adjusting to more liight, sundews love sun, unless you have D. adelae, which prefer shade.

THis what D. Adelae
d.adelae5web.jpg

If its not that one whatever you got is just adjusting, also remember to get the media moist.

Ok Yes thats an adelae they don't like direct sunlight, put it somewhere where it gets bright shade ( it won't do too well in really dark shade. Put it somewhere where it gets no direct light, somehwere shady but not to shady.

D. adelae should really be kept inside in a bright window or under lights. They don't do too well outside. (Unless you have a greenhouse.)

Drosera Adelae prefers much less light than most Sundews, and a loooot of humidity. grow it in a small terrarium until it picks up the pace again, then move it to a windowsill.

If it was getting cooked, I'd suggest a nice, thick, savory reduced sauce with steamed asparagus on the side.

The Lowes here never sells anything but Dionaea .

I think what happened is that it's environmental conditions changed significantly enough to put the plant into shock. Now you just have to wait it out to see if it's dead or just extremely upset.

"They don't do too well outside. " Why not? I have several outside that have more dew goo than Slimer from ghostbusters.

Ok Yes thats an adelae they don't like direct sunlight, put it somewhere where it gets bright shade ( it won't do too well in really dark shade. Put it somewhere where it gets no direct light, somehwere shady but not to shady.

I would keep it out there for now, until it either dies or recovers. Moving weal plants around often does them in / finishes them off. Keep it hydrated and maybe put it under something.

"They don't do too well outside. " Why not? I have several outside that have more dew goo than Slimer from ghostbusters.

1. They don't "do" full sun.
2. They aren't temperate, so having to bring them in and out isn't favorable; although it is do-able.
3. The elements tend to take a toll on them, in my experience.

I didn't say that you couldn't keep them outside, I've just observed that it usually doesn't work out.

I put it back outside, but in a spot that's shaded most of the day, on my porch. It kept getting browner and browner, and I was considering cutting it up and seeing if it'd grow from the root. Well I looked closely today, and guess what I saw! One or two teeny tiny new growths! With dew!

So I think I'll let it live in its spot on the porch. Now, should I trim off the dead brown leaves, or keep them, since they may or may not be working to shade the new growth?

Howdy folks,

In my experience, Drosera adelae does not like it too waterlogged, but nicely damp instead. Also, they despise direct/unfiltered sun. I've had great success keeping them just damp and in at least 70-80% constant humidity, under lights...

is.php

is.php

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Brian is far more experienced experienced than I. I have had this species as a typical window sill plant; in a closet under a fluorescent light; and in the mini-greenhouse, with its Australian cousins. It actually did the best for me in the closet, exposed to the air, where it flowered. Here's the most recent picture, a group photo, in the mini-greenhouse:
Picture015-3.jpg

Back