What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. falconeri pics

Cindy

Staff member
This is my first D. falconeri. I have always thought that the plant resembled a VFT which has been stepped on! :-O

The weather is heating up and the growing area is around 85F-92F.

9 May 2009
falconeri_9May.jpg

27 May 2009
falconeri_27May.jpg

Leaf looking like a VFT trap
falconeri_leaf.jpg

falconeri_leaf1.jpg

falconeri_leaf2.jpg

oh wow so dewy =o

wow what a beautiful plant! she is next on my wanted list:)

You know Cindy, that's exactly what I thought!

Great falconeri as always, Cindy. Great dew on them.

Your plants always have excellent coloration. Good work.

Wow, your falconeri is looking so much better than mine right now! I am starting to see signs of life of it emerging from dormancy, but it looks really bad right now lol

This plant has always fascinated me. Your plant reinforces why that is :)
Very nice falconeri, keep up the good growing!

You're doing very well with it! I struggle with this one and killed the 3 that I had. What are your growing conditions? Even in my mini-greenhouse, with warmth, good lighting, humidity, and LFS, I couldn't get them going.

That is a beautiful red color to that beautiful plant. Great job.

Jimscott,

There seems to be a problem with my hygrometer so the humidity I measure now is likely wrong. But the temperatures are high, around 85F-92F. I would say that this species LOVE the heat and humidity. It is now the hottest season here and all my falconeri plants are growing much faster than a couple of months ago with cooler temperatures. Lighting is T5.

The media is peat and coarse sand. The pot stands in a water tray which I allow drying out before I top it up again.

I didn't want to create a new thread for a single dew pic so I figured I would add it to Cindy's. I hope you don't mind Cindy. Mine is not as good as yours, but I sure am proud of it! I am seriously thinking of taking leaf pullings to try to propogate it before it goes dormant, which I am guessing should be any week now.

dfalcon.jpg

Spectacular plants Cindy. It's those evenly hot conditions that make this species thrive. I had the best result growing mine in a terrarium, but outside and in full sun. Thanks for sharing the photos!

what the hay---i'll just post my falconeri pics as well :D
when i first received:
RSCN3463.jpg

now:
RSCN3508.jpg

RSCN3509.jpg

I think Falconeri might be the missing link between the VFT and Drosera

Thanks for reviving Cindy's spectacular pictures that make my eyes water every time I see them.:0o:
Great growing, all of you--nice, robust growth!

I'll join the party too, I guess.
Here's mine from last year that I only recently uploaded- i'm such a slow poke!
Drosera_falconeri_red_medium.JPG

Regarding the relationship between D. falconeri and Dionaea I can see why you would think that, but actually you would have to go far back in time to find that relationship. Sometime millions of years ago, both genera probably had a common ancestor, but they split off into two very different branches, one becoming the genus Drosera and the other Dionaea. Both still are included in the same family Droseracae. Dionaea closest living relative is also included in this family of plants, and is Aldrovanda. I believe Drosera regia comes closest to Dionaea in phylogeny. Attempts to cross pollinate these different genera led to fertilization, but the resulting seed was not viable.

Nathan, and intern at Meadowview, was comparing the DNA between Aldrovanda and Dionaea when I went for a visit back in July. If I recall, he believed these two appeared to be more genetically similar where breeding was concerned. He didn't go too much into detail as it would have been lost on this novice CP'er. :)

You may want to contact him to get more info if you are interested.

Last edited:
Back