What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. aliciae flower

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture001-13.jpg

Do they self sow or will I need to have another flower from another plant? This is the first time I've ever had one flower.

The will self pollinate. You might want to hand pollinate to increase your chances of getting a seed set.

Thanks, Warren. For the lark of it, while I have the D. ordensis x paradoxa also blooming, I thought I'd give that cross a try. Why not, right?

Picture003-13.jpg

Well, you can try. Petiolaris complex Drosera have a chromsome count of 12 or 14 where as D. aliciae has a count of 40 or 80.

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean it would be tough to get some viable seed or does it mean you would end up with one very strange plant?

Phil

Well, you can try. Petiolaris complex Drosera have a chromsome count of 12 or 14 where as D. aliciae has a count of 40 or 80.

Highly unlikely to mate successfully. They won't match up.

You're not likely to get seed viable or otherwise unless the chromosome counts are compatible - either the same or multiples of each other. Thus you can cross Drosera anglica (40) with Drosera rotundifolia (20) and get D. x obovata.

New picture:

Picture002-6.jpg

Ah, gotcha. Thanks NAN. I guess I learned that in biology long, long ago.

Pretty flowers, just wish they were bigger :( I think Texas should change the state flower to that of Sarracenia alata!

Phil

My Aliciae always seems to abort its flowers.

My Aliciae always seems to abort its flowers.

I wonder why. Maybe it needs more light? I'd be thrilled if I can get viable seeds from these guys!

Back