What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi!

I recently got into possession these 2 beautiful species. They are large size (ordensis 8cm and derbyensis 4cm across). I have a small terrarium where I grow d. paradoxa and d.petiolaris with great success. (Used to grow there d. kenneallyi too before my parent "took care of it").
The conditions are: 20-25C/night, 30-36C/day. Turbolights-15hours/day. R/O water-tray method (1cm water, replenished when gone). terrarium is covered with plastic foil on the top leaving 1cm gap. Not much air circulation, very high humidity.
I placed the newly acquired plants in there and d.ordensis' leaves started to turn red/brown from old leaved towards the centre and from tips to the heart. D. derbyensis is not doing anything. here are some pics:

D. derbyensis
DSCF0004.jpg

D.ordensis
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

Please someone advice me what is wrong? Are they going towards dormancy? I read somewhere that wooly sdews ( I mean petiolaris group with hair on the petioles) do not like high humidity and can be grown outside terrarium? And that they love sandy drier soil and higher temperatures than e.g. paradoxa/petiolaris?

Maybe i should remove them under hot strong lights outside the terrarium with no tray with water just damp soil?

Thanx for your help! :)

Please someone advice me what is wrong? Are they going towards dormancy? I read somewhere that wooly sdews ( I mean petiolaris group with hair on the petioles) do not like high humidity and can be grown outside terrarium? And that they love sandy drier soil and higher temperatures than e.g. paradoxa/petiolaris?

The woolly sundews like hot AND humid conditions. They prefer a drier, more drained soil than most sundews. Most people I've seen growing them do use somewhat complex heated terrariums to grow them. I'm sure one of them will help you out soon.

Jason

To me it just looks like they are adapting to the new conditions. I do not see anything wrong with them. Only thing I would say is that, for me, a media with more sand in it worked a lot better.

If you search the forums using my name and "petiolaris" you should come up with a whole slew of good information.

klasac,

My conditions now are 27-30C/night, 30-36C/day. Both species are thriving under T5 lights on a 12-hour photoperiod. They are treated the same way as D. falconeri, the water level is allowed to drop completely before the tray is refilled. I use peat and sand mix for all of them.

Thanks folks!
When I searched forum for ordensis mostly pictures came out and some advice put in words.... I just wanted to make sure for my particular case. Thanx Pyro, DrWurm and Cindy. I will leave them inside then. The only thing I am going to change is the substrate. They are in peat/perlite mixture. Coming from a very experienced grower, I know this kind of substrate is OK for them. But might be too old, besides I do not like peat in most mixes and use mostly peat/sand mixes just like Cindy because I think they drain better which is important here. I will use a very sandy soil and put them in larger pots.
Thank you for your comments! :)

Hey guys I am back with good news! I repotted the plants from peat/perlite mix to peat/sand (10/90) mix and give them heat and light and look:
d.derbyensis now:
DSCF0011-4.jpg

d.ordensis now:
DSCF0018-4.jpg

DSCF0017-1.jpg

Thank you very much for your HELP! :)

My conditions now are 27-30C/night, 30-36C/day. Both species are thriving under T5 lights on a 12-hour photoperiod. They are treated the same way as D. falconeri, the water level is allowed to drop completely before the tray is refilled. I use peat and sand mix for all of them.

LOL! No Perlite? Seriously, your temps and photoperiod are exactly what my min-greenhouse setup is like. I thought D. falconeri likes the media to be more moist, though. But then again, I've killed the few plants I had.

Hi,
Drosera. falconeri and other really hate cool give them hot and they will changing to red colour and sure they not die !

Wow, they look awesome, especially d.ordensis.

Back