What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
When I was new to the hobby, and scarfng up every trading post offering possible, all I did was sprinkle seeds on the slightly wet surface of pipette containers. I shut the lid and placed at a window sill. In about 3 weeks, most of the time, seeds germinated. For the past year or so, I've been putting them in pots, slightly moist, covered, under a fluorescent light, room temp... and most of the time, nothing happens. All things being equal, excluding those that require special treatment, why am I having the worst time with easy sundews, like burmannii, intermedia, spatulata, anglica, natalesnis, capillaris? Do they want bright shade... warmer temps, more light, less light, more water,... what? what do you do?

I 've seen higher germination rates with a covered pot to increase humidity and then remove the cover once sprouts take place. My burmannii are just now sprouting after 3-4 weeks. As for some of my Sarrs it's been 6 months and seeds are just now germinating.
Even though covering increases rates for me I do not cover as I usually get a mad case of either algae or fungus.
Lighting is 4 t12s at 40W each with a 16hr photoperiod at about 5 inches above the pot.

What are you sowing them on media wise jim?

I've read they need to be sown fresh. That's been my experience with d. intermedia but not d. capensis.

When I was new to the hobby, and scarfng up every trading post offering possible, all I did was sprinkle seeds on the slightly wet surface of pipette containers. I shut the lid and placed at a window sill. In about 3 weeks, most of the time, seeds germinated. For the past year or so, I've been putting them in pots, slightly moist, covered, under a fluorescent light, room temp... and most of the time, nothing happens. All things being equal, excluding those that require special treatment, why am I having the worst time with easy sundews, like burmannii, intermedia, spatulata, anglica, natalesnis, capillaris? Do they want bright shade... warmer temps, more light, less light, more water,... what? what do you do?

All my seeds germinate within a week, this is true for: Dielsiana, spathulata, anglica, capensis, and others. Then again they were less then a few days old.

germination within a week is not something the average grower should expect. I sow plenty of seed that is straight from flower stalk to media and I dont get regular week long germinations.

my advice is to keep everything steady and consistent and give it more time than you'd think and see what happens.

Jim,
I just posted this in another thread the other day, but I'll copy it for you here:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the seeds. For next time, here are a few guidelines that you should try to follow:
I've found what works best for most Drosera seeds is to have the seeds in cooler temps (in my basement), using a heat mat during the day if it isn't that warm, so it's around 80F and then turning it off at night, so it can get down to 65 or lower. South American/African dews germinate exceptionally well in these conditions. Give them as much humidity as possible. You don't need all that much light until they germinate, but by the time they have 3 baby leaves, you should definitely have them in a brighter location. Also, be sure to have rinsed the media extremely thouroughly prior to sowing the seeds, or else you will get funky smells and algae/fungus growth.
You can expect to wait an average of 2-4 weeks if the seeds are reasonably fresh. Mine germinated in about 2. Others that I bought took over 4 months to germinate, but that's because I let my pots dry out one time...
hope that can help you for future seed attempts...

I tested Natalensis, Anglica, Tokaiensis, Burmannii, Spatulata, and a few others that I listed to check that they were viable, and got nearly 100% germination using the technique I described. So I know that at least most of the seed I sent out should have been viable. Humidity plays a big role, if you haven't been adding saran or something over your pots. Also, I also had nearly 100% germination with some D. chrysolepsis seeds I recently aquired, so I hope I can keep them alive!!!!

Thanks, Aaron! Sounds like they'd do better if kept in a controlled environment, outside.

no problem. I've never tried them outside before, but I'm sure it would work fine.

Maybe by July.....

It's funny you brought this up Jim haha I have been thinking the exact same thing lately... I'm having the same problem.

Back