What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

giant capensis

Typical D. capensis will form stems over time and grow up to a foot in diameter.

I'm not sure I've heard of this form before.

ive heard of the giant form, though i cant say ive seen more than a few posts about it....maybe something will come up on the carnivorous plant photofinder?

i got this plant in a trade last year. I have it in a 7 inch container that I moved it to before it nearly died. Now it's big, but it doesn't look like a palm tree like the pictures you linked. and for some reason it still hasn't flowered, even though it seems like it reached its peak height. Same goes for this weird Bainskloof form I got from nepenthesmatt a while back. The thing is only 2 inches across and has been that way for a year, continuing to form a stem slowly. Maybe it's just the container i have them in....

There is a form called "Giant, 60 cm" that I thought looked pretty incredible: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6518/26mars37.jpg. I received my "Giant" as this form, but I think someone must have mixed up the names somewhere down the line, because it certainly isn't even close to that size!

Maybe this winter or something I can find time to take a root cutting for you.

I was given some Cape 'Giant' form seeds by someone here on TF a couple years ago.

I finally sowed them about two months ago. They germinated quickly and have grown to about 1½" in height.

Whether they'll grow to be actual giant Capes I do not know. Fun to watch though...

Could that one just be an exceptionally old Cape Sundew? If I kept up on trimming mine down as much as I should, it'd have the same type of stem, I think?

Cplantaholic: that would be cooool if you could do that for me :) (even if its not 60 cm. thats pretty unbelievable) nice pic btw. is that yours?

i have a capensis wide leaf form right now thats finally doing good after i almost killed it.. so far its about 3 inches across. i guess you could say the leaves are wider than normal. especially since i have it growing next to a narrowleaf form. theyre growing in full sun too so they may be smaller because of that. the narrowleaf certainly shrank alot after being put in full sun...

Back