What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New (?) filiformis hybrid

After several attempts at crossing filiformis "Florida all red" and var. tracyi, I've finally gotten a seed to germinate and it has just reached maturity. As of right now, the only other filiformis cross that I'm aware of is D. 'California sunset' which is the standard filiformis crossed with var. tracyi, so this may be the first time the "florida all red" variety has been used in a cross.

Here are some pics;

The flower. Standard filiformis look but almost double the size of "fl all red", about the same size as var. tracyi.

dxhybrid01.jpg

Leaves of filiformis "fl all red" x var. tracyi. They retain the green leaves of var. tracyi but inherit the red glands tips of "fl all red".

dxhybrid02.jpg

Community tray with my cross on the left and "florida all red" on the right.

dxhybrid03.jpg

var. tracyi leaves for comparison.

dxhybrid04.jpg

Maybe I should call this one Drosera 'Florida sunrise'? :p

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a list of Drosera hybrids/crosses, I'd appreciate it.

(sorry for the not-so-great picture quality. filiformis is a hard subject to photograph.)

Last edited:
F-U-N! Crossing 2 varieties of the same species makes a potential cultivar, not a hybrid eh?

Ahh, that's right. My mistake, chalk it up to 4th of July beers. :beer:

Does it have a dormancy requirement? What sort of conditions does it prefer?

Maybe you could try crossing this with D. x 'California Sunset'. :D

Cool. I'd buy it if it comes out soon.

Does it have a dormancy requirement? What sort of conditions does it prefer?

I'm guessing when winter comes around, it will go dormant along with my other types of D. filiformis. I no longer have a terrarium so I can't test it for year round growth.

Conditions here are mostly hot and humid (typical lowland) and "Florida all red" and var. tracyi both enjoy it. No idea what it's preference would be, but if you can grow the other two, this one should do just fine.

Maybe you could try crossing this with D. x 'California Sunset'. :D

That's an interesting idea. I don't own 'California Sunset' but was thinking of getting one for the sake of comparison.

Some of the US Drosera hybrids are in Schnell's book.

Drosera:
x obovata (anglica x rotundifolia)
x hybrida (filiformis ssp. filiformis x intermedia)
x anglica x linearis
x capillaris x intermedia

If the chromosome count isn't doubled (which happens in Drosera hybrids between different species), it could be crossed. (It really depends, though. Is D. f. ssp. tracyi = D. tracyi?)

Nice clear pics!

Very nice pictures, and thank you for the idea of checking the tips of the tentacles for IDing Filiformis. I have a bunch of Filiformis sprouts and at least some of them are Tracyi cuttings -- but they might also be Florida All Red as some of them are changing to a orangish red color on the leaves. Communal Prorogation Chambers are *fun*.

Back