What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Latitude Are The Majority Of Petiolaris Complex?, How many hours of photoperiod

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My googling is getting me nowhere and I know a map exists of their distribution... somewhere. Some people keep them in constant 15 or 16 hour photoperiod but I'm guessing it would vary from ~11-13 hours. What do they grow in, naturally?

I was provided with a link and of right now, their photoperiod is ~11 1/2 hours. Since winter solstice was a month ago, projecting backward, it's more like 11 1/3 hours. So that makes the peak of summer ~12 2/3 hours. They're almost equatorial.

I bought a cheap timer for my mini-greenhouse plants / light. Working second shift I have little control over the photoperiod and wanted a way of having the light go out a few hours before I come home. If this works out I'll buy another for the grow rack. Right now they need to maximize the summer photoperiod whereas the tropical plants need more of a 12 & 12.

So I took the timer out of the package and proceeded to follow instructions and connected the light to an adapter plug to the timer to the power strip. Expecting the light to come on, because it was set to do so.. it didn't. This requires further investigation.... maybe I'll just ask my wife!

Stats on Australian website are daily "bright sunshine" hours - clear days. Northern latitudes are in the "rain belt" so there are more cloudy days thus less bright sunshine days. Broome airport Feb: 7.5 hours, Nov: 11.5 hours.

Their forecasts are very consistent, with temps centering around 30 C for daily highs. I have to figure out this timer. Not even my wife could get the thing shut off at the time we designated. It's probably defective!

I returned the cheap timer and bought a digital one. I followed instructions and incredibly, the light turned off at the intended time. Now I can give the mini-greenhouse as 12 hour photoperiod. This fall I will get another, to deal with the sub-tropical plants on the rack. The temperates will go to Vic's garage, as they have for the past two winters.

Back