What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does D. burmannii go dormant?, I've never seen this before.

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture020-1.jpg

I've heard that after it's done flowering, it dies and comes back by tons of seeds, but if grown well enough, it can live longer. Not 100% positive, though.

This plant has flowered for Baylor Guy a lot. I have no seeds. I guess this is the end.....

No, it does not go dormant; it goes dead. Though sometimes plants have been known to live for multiple seasons.

My D. burmannii flowered nine times in two seasons before it looked like that. It's dead now, unless it pops out more leaves. Then feed it and it may grow back like mine. It wasn't strong enough to last this season, though.

maybe try some pullings while it's still green??

Usually the copious seeds it produces should make it a pest when done right- a buddy of mine has them in almost every Sarr and Nep pot in his collection

Jim, if you need another one let me know.

Mabudon: They don't strike from leaf-cuttings. Mine were failures, or else my D. burmannii would still be here.

As far as I know Burmanii is an annual. You can cut the flower stalks off to extend it for a few seasons or sow some seed in rememberance of your fallen burmanii.

Definitely no dormancy... Your plant looks to me like maybe too much minerals in the media? Pest? Not really sure, that's not what mine do after they flower either so I can't say that's the cause... Mine regularly give many flowerings each, although the plant can shrink after a flowering... Here is a utric pot that I've not bothered removing the "weed" burmannii from LOL I'd be happy to toss ya some seeds Jim ;) Just PM me if you're interested. They're super easy from seed (obviously :-O ) I say they rival D. capensis!
Andrew

I'd check for mites or aphids. Ivan Snyder has one he has been growing for ages.

If there's anything amiss with the media, water, or pests, I just don't see it. It's in with the mini-greenhouse and I give them distilled water. I just cleaned out the tray a couple weeks ago. I'd feed it but the leaves are dewless. The Gro Lux bulbs are 3" above the pot(s). Maybe this particular plant is akin to a 90 year old human?

Drosera burmanii is an annual (in my condition even semi-annual:-))....that means that when it is done flowering it dies. It starts growing smaller leaves when half of the flowers on the stalk are done blooming. The leaves grow smaller and smaller and look undeveloped, it means that the plant is dying. When it disappears from the surface it still pumps nutrients from dying roots to the stalk to finish ripening of the seeds...then the roots die and the plant is gone completely. It doesnt come back from roots anymore. Leaf pullings are a no-go with burmanii. It comes back from hundreds of seeds as a new colony of D. burmanii. You can delay the death of the plant by cutting of the flower stalk but then you get no seeds and when it flowers later the seeds are less and less viable. I had burmanii for 3 years longest cutting the flowers constantly, but seeds are a very easy to spread the number of plants in your collection:)

Unfortunately for this plant (and me), there is no flower scape. It dies a lonely plant. R.I.P.

Beats me, I have one that's over two years old that I've gotten three sets of seed from and it's still going strong. I'll send you some seed if you want.

Guess what... I was just checking a pot of D. spatulata to see if I could capture a flower in bloom and I caught a glimpse of something that looked different, partially obscured from my view. Rotating the pot 90 degrees:

Picture017-3.jpg

I have no idea how it got there.

They get around don't they? The same thing happened to me in a pot of D. brevifolia from a small clump you sent me. The D. burmanii was at the edge of the pot of new media and the tiny plug you sent was in the middle. A seed or two must have dropped out of the clump as I was transferring it. That same plant is still going strong while its progeny is taking over the pot as well as invading others.

Amazing how some plants germinate without any nurturing whatsoever and others won't do a thing, no matter what ya do!

Back