What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Drosera Regia a difficult plant?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm thinking of getting a Drosera Regia, but I read that they are a difficult plant and are picky about temperatures and light.

What experiences have you had with D. Regia? Would you say it's difficult? How do you grow them?

Here's a good link to start with.

Given that you're in FL, you may have some issues if you plan to grow outside. Check out this thread.

Hey Wolfn,

If you give one a try outside, I'd be interested to know how it goes. I've always wanted to grow this plant but its reputation makes it seem like it would drop dead outdoors in Florida.

from what ive gathered regia is one of those species that either loves yah or hates yah......i could never to get it to grow but others have found it to be fairly simple to keep going......get it, try it, maybe it will like yah....

regia is like cephalotus. it will dredge along for you in most cases, in some it will absolutely thrive, in some it will wither and die. as rattler said, get it, try it, and dont fry it! ;)

It does very well outside, from spring to fall.

Picture036.jpg

This plant went from 1-2 dew-laden leaves at a time to now 4 at a time. It also turned red.

from what ive gathered regia is one of those species that either loves yah or hates yah......i could never to get it to grow but others have found it to be fairly simple to keep going......get it, try it, maybe it will like yah....
Sadly, I couldn't agree more ... :headwall: D. regia has proven to be a plant that torments me. I killed a few early on - - then I realized I needed to pay attention -- got some to grow well and 'assumed' that I was now back in control. Started taking them for granted - - Bam! Croaked. Since then I've had a number of 'random' deaths - some unexplained - - some weird stuff (had some insect in the basement eat a plant down to the base...) :scratch: Given some of the other plants that I've managed to figure out, I'm pretty amazed that this plant still torments me ... but it does ... :nana:

I've got some ideas for my next one ... one of which is staying humble & listening to what the plant tells me vs what I want or expect to hear ...

The most important thing with regia is to have a nice night time drop in temperature. If this drop is not provided, from my experience the plant simply stays small. I also waited for the tray to dry out between waterings and provided it with sunny conditions, but not certainly not full sun.

Phil

It's the winter that a challenge. I'm putting itback on the window sill and I'm hoping it'll be reasonably cool, there, and have daily temp fluctuations.

Back