What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New picture:

Picture003-6.jpg

I've only had mine for about two weeks. Still obviously stressed but she does has new leaves forming. Growth appears like it is going to be quick.
Doing the happy schizzy dance, errr knock on wood!

schizzy.jpg

Disregard the granular stuff.... betcha cant guess LOL

Thanks Ron, Jim et al., for the help and guidance.
My first attempt 6 months or so ago was very short lived... ???

:hail:
Av

Looking good Jim. How much light is your plant getting? I forgot did I send your some shizzys in an exchange before?

I have it on the grow rack, on top of the light, set back in, so it gets what shines through the glass doors.

With a snowstorm coming and a request for more pics, out came the camera.... As usual, my D. schizandra's enjoy the cooler temps of winter in our house. Notice anything special about my 'mother' plant?
Dschizandrabloomw020510RS.jpg

Not obvious yet? How about this one?
Dschizandrabloom020510RS.jpg

With some feeding, I'm hoping to coax a bloom out of it this year ... :crazy:
Yup. That dark protusion in the center is the start of a flower stalk (lighter one on the left is a new leaf forming). Looks like the feeding (WFFs), larger pot (moved from 3.5" to 5.5") and cool winter temps have given it a reason to start a bloom. While it's not like I'll get any seeds, it's a cool milestone (once it actually happens). :banana2:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
02.06.10 edit
Just noticed that one of my smaller plants (~3.5" dia) that I've been growing as a backup / trade candy also appears to have a flower stalk coming along. Since this plant is similarly sized to plants I've had for several years in these same conditions (pot size, media, temps, location, etc), it seems that the WFF feeding is the major catalyst for pushing them over the edge & blooming (at least in my conditions).

Congrats on the flower man! Good looking plant :) I don't feed mine, but they sure do seem to nab a decent snack for themselves! Mine seem to be loving the weather as well.

Andrew

From my experiance of growing alpine plants, if you do get seed, then the progeny might be more ammenable to your conditions. I think that plants that have been grown in cultivation for several generations will be much easier in cultivation.
By the way, they are some amazing plants you guys are growing, Im super envious.

From my experiance of growing alpine plants, if you do get seed, then the progeny might be more ammenable to your conditions. I think that plants that have been grown in cultivation for several generations will be much easier in cultivation.
While I believe what you're saying, I do not believe the sisters are self fertile. Whether due to the high humidity they are normally grown in or true lack of receptivity, they rarely, if ever, produce any seeds. If I had a 2nd seed clone (are there any in USA?), I'd pollinate but not w/ only one clone.

By the way, they are some amazing plants you guys are growing, Im super envious.
Thanks for the kind comment.:blush:

RL7836: Im sure you are right I didnt think of that. Thats the other thing Iv noticed too that plants that have been in cultivation for several generations tend to self pollinate more easily. Its kind of circular, if they self pollinate, they tend to be grown by more people and they adapt more to cultivation conditions. Then more people grow them. Thats why I try and collect seed off my plants from my garden (alpine plants) or glasshouse (carnivorous) I think even if something is more easily propagated by cuttings its always good to collect and sow any seed. If ever get any shizandra seed I will send you some! (dont hold your breath though)

So, have you got a bloom yet?

:pics:

So, have you got a bloom yet?

:pics:
Touche. :crazy:
When they finally open (as long as I'm around), I'll be sure to post something. :-O I think the stalks are up to 1/4 - 3/8" so far. For comparison - my windowsill U. longifolia & basement U. nelumbifolia sprouted after the schizzy iirc and are 5" (longifolia) & 10" (nelumbifolia) high.

Wow, shizzy is a slow flowerer!

So, have you got a bloom yet? :pics:
As promised, here are some updated pics of the flowers on my D. schizandra & some recent plant pics....

Flower side view:
Dschizandraflowerside041810RS.jpg

Flower close-up - notice the split-red anthers for which the plant is named (with pollen poking out from the sides):
Dschizandraflowertop041810RS.jpg

Pic of the entire plant from yesterday:
Dschizandra3-4view041810RS.jpg

Top view - this plant lives under a 7" (~18 cm) diameter glass dome and as you can see, all of the largest leaf ends are bent from hitting the glass. The true diameter is something north of 7"... :scratch:
Dschizandratop041810RS.jpg

Side view:
Dschizandraside041810RS.jpg

Close-up of the 'aerial' roots it's sending out. This plant really wants to make a mat of schizandra plants - as seen in native habitat pics (or Andrew's):
Dschizandraaerialroots041810RS.jpg

Wow, that's certainly a beautiful sight- Those dimensions you've described are incredible! Such a short flower stalk for a dew that enormous!

Wow, great growing Ron.
I hope to be able to get the correct growing conditions for this plant soon. I want to grow it.

Wow that's nice! I totally hate the plant itself, but would consider growing it just for the flowers now.

Does Schizandra hybridize with any other species?

Amazing Ron! Great growing, that thing is sweet (and huge!) Thanks for the flower pics, my plants are much smaller than that. But I admit to probably not growing them in as dark a spot as most seem to.
Andrew

Wow thats a really nice shade of pink on the flower.
Thez yo: wash your mouth out, its a lovely plant.

Back