What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

filiformis flowering/growth decline

my d.filiformis is now in the stages of ripening its seed but the growth has been steadily declining for the past few weeks. its pretty much stopped growing now and has only made two or three small warped leafs since the beginning of the month. is that normal or maybe im keeping it too wet? i'll post a pic later today

It could be possible it just might be going into dormancy? Not too sure, but since you're in Oregon, I would have to assume things would go dormant quicker and longer. D. filiformis is also known for going dormant earlier than other temperate plants from what I've heard.

Edit: Is the growth point becoming a little like a bud?

Edit #2: You're not in New York. LOL.

Yes, it could be going dormant. The D. filiformis var filiformis "NJ Pine Barrens" plants I have start going dormant around now. The D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant" and D. filiformis var tracyi plants I have hang on until September.

Mine always form a fibrous mass that looks like cotton candy (candy floss for our growers across the pond) around the growing point when they go dormant.

Leaves in the winter bud look something like a curled fang tightly bunched together.

Here's D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant" breaking dormancy. This should give you an idea of what the "cotton ball" and "fangs" look like:
01890020.jpg

so they get their dormancy cue from light period and not temp? it was 105 degrees here yesterday

Here's a photo of D. filiformis hibernaculum:
http://www.darwiniana.cz/vamr/?page=obrazek&id=1993

If you're not getting the fibre and/or the tight winter bud then you might have look elsewhere for possible problems such as aphids.

If the sides of the pots were exposed to much direct sunlight on particularly hot days the roots might have overheated. I try to make sure my smaller, dark colored pots are shaded in hot weather. What happened a few weeks ago?

Photoperiod probably is a major factor in dormancy. How much a role photoperiod, temperature and moisture plays is probably a complex interaction that varies from species to species. I searched for literature on dormancy in carnivorous plants once upon a time but found nothing - not to say it doesn't exist. I did find a paper on dormancy in woody plants (trees). From what I recall change in photoperiod signals the plants to enter a pre-dormancy phase where growth slows/stops but can resume quickly if the conditions (temperature and moisture) remain or trend towards favorable for growth. If the conditions continue to unfavorable then the plants enter dormancy that requires a lengthy "wake up" process. Once dormant some trees such as sugar maples need a sufficiently cold winter or they will not come out of dormancy.

yeah thats what it looked like when i got it in march. now the main buds are turning brown but have new leaves sprouting out the sides closer to the soil. so i think it may be trying to make new baby buds to save itself

If the sides of the pots were exposed to much direct sunlight on particularly hot days the roots might have overheated. I try to make sure my smaller, dark colored pots are shaded in hot weather. What happened a few weeks ago?

im pretty sure thats what it is... i moved it out of the sun a couple weeks ago but i guess the damage is done.. i think its recovering though..

i cant find the camera to take a picture. i think my girlfriend has it

so you dont think flowering has made it do this?

I've not experienced flowering to bring D. filiformis down, but perhaps the additional heat stress might have been a bit too much for it.

I would cut the watering back a touch, D. filiformis are prone to crown rot when they are not actively growing.

My D. filiformis here in Colorado is doing the same thing. Many ripening seed pods on multiple stalks and almost no new leaf growth for the past few weeks. It is behaving just like last summer. Your plants may produce a few more carnivorous leaves in August before going dormant in early September. In my experience the most impressive growth is in May and June.

thanks spdskr! that put me at ease :)

and thank you too notanumber :) i'll cut down the watering and keep it shaded more

Back