What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruby Ruby Dew

Hello there TF folks, I thought I'd share a shot of a nicely colored up D. falconeri with you.

IMG_1625-1.jpg

And while I was at it, here is a bonus pic of P. esseriana "Giant'.

IMG_1637-1.jpg

And the lovely couple together.

IMG_1690-1.jpg

wow! VERY colourful!! very nice thanlks for sharing, I really love that P. esseriana "Giant", it's so cute/cool. heehee, I love it.

Fantastic, Dvg!

Truly the best that I have ever seen.

Cool beans. Almost looks like a red ping from that angle.

Spectacular dvg!

Beautiful Plants!

Thank you all for your very kind words.

high red with some pink, hmmmmmm....flawless!!!!

Very nice looking!

Thanks again, fellas.

A very intense colour!| I suppose falco coloured up like this under the natural sunlight,,,or maybe i am wrong? :)

Thanks klasac! This one actually colored up like this under a couple of compact florescent lights in my basement, though it might be interesting to see how it would fare outside in natural sunlight. But then it would also have to handle our very arid Alberta air(Opuntia fragilis cacti growing on a hill just 2 miles away). But the idea might be worthy of further trials, thanks for planting those seeds.

Well, if you want to try, go ahead, but I dont think she can look any better than this,,,:) Personally, I have success with petiolaris under artificial strong light as well. I wanted to try it outside in the sun, but the temps went too high and the drop of air humidity was significant. My plants are spoiled, dont like too much temp/light fluctuation, which happens a lot with e.g. cloudy skies. Your climate is a bit better for growing them outside though. GOOD LUCK!:)

On second thought, with the very cool Alberta nights here, the falconeri might not feel too at home here, especially if left outside at night.

I grow mine indoors under a seven inch high propagation dome. The pots sit inside a standard seedling tray, with the dome on top of that. I have two 42 watt 6500k 'Daylight' CFL lamps above the dome, plus a 100 watt ceramic reptile heating element also just above the dome. For a little extra heat, I have a seedling propagation heating mat under the seedling tray. This gets the ambient temps up to around 95 to 99 Fahrenheit during the day.

wow, both stunning plants. Happy Growing.

Man, I can't get my plant to anything close to that crimson color and it is in a mini-greenhouse, 3" under two Grolux bulbs. Temps are only in the 80's. Do I need to lower the lights? Do they need warmer temps?

Picture002-16.jpg

Hi Jimscott,

I'm tending to think the lintensity of the growlights brings out the deep reds in the falconeri. My falconeri that are growing under and between the 2 42 watt CFL's are the redder of the bunch. It could also be the clone that determines the color. I got that red one from Europe last November, and I got a couple more that originated int the US back in January. I haven't tried a lot of different experiments with these clones yet, as my first concern was to just keep them alive. But now they have divided and flowered for me, so I have more material to work with.

What type of lighting are you using in your growspace now Jim? I think T5HO would give you the light intensity needed to color these 'dews up nicely. I keep my domed enclosure quite warm because that's what I read that the falconeri like, but they might do just as well at 80F vs 95F...more trials in the future might provide some better understanding of these plant's preferences.

The falconeri is red!!So beautiful!

that is one ruby ruby dew :)
Yep, lighting is key to the red coloration. When I grew them further from the lights, my plants turned a red-green. Now they are completely red after moving them closer. For fun, here's one of my babies:
Drosera_falconeri_red_medium.JPG

Back