What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue culture drosera

Hi! Recently I started pondering about learning TC for CP. I had some extra time on my hands in my lab and so I started trying out media and plants, most of them just died or got contaminated, but some time ago I got lucky and found a good medium for d. burmanii (seeds) and d. anglica leaves):
DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

Used modified home-made 1/3 MS medium, no phytohormones, no inositol. Not much success TCing other species, but still trying:)

Cool. Somehow, tissue culture fascinates me. :)

that's awsome, good luck and good job. I wish I could try TC some time but I have no clue how and I heard it's expensive... and I don't know how. :p

Kewl!

here are the same plants 3 weeks later:
d.burmannii
dburmanniiexp535days.jpg

d.anglica generates roots (3 weeks later)
danglicaexp535days.jpg

Some explants, being on hormone free media, do not propagate, but continue regular growth (as if they have never been cut off from the plant). D. filiformis leaves continue unfurling and are dewy:
dfiliformisexp62weeks.jpg

and undeveloped flower stalk of d. rotundifolia developed, the stalk bloomed and now creates seeds!
drotundifoliaexp62weeks.jpg

I guess some species need to have phytohormones present in the media.......any thoughts?

I think my brain just drop dead....... its just amazed me that how much they have gotten in 3 weeks. and that leaf cutting is pulling out like 10 x few growth.... o_O

nice work :) i don't know how you afford all the media/ supplies for your experimentation!!!

CPlantaholic: thanx:) It is not expensive to buy MS media, hormones and bleach and agar. Although I do not buy MS media because I work in a chemistry lab and can prepare it, I checked the prices and the kits are not expensive at all :)

Getting a kit for the first time can be a little pricey (what I've just done). Purchasing the additional media and such as needed isn't bad at all. The agar can be bought locally at health food stores. I found MS for .97 cents a packet which makes one liter each. I'm sure it's possible to buy it even cheaper if you look around. Having access to a lab would make things even easier/cheaper I bet ;).

Very nice work klasac! I'm going to be attempt some tissue culture soon. It will be at home though without all the fancy benefits of a lab. Maybe I'll have a little luck :).

Crystal

CPlantaholic: thanx:) It is not expensive to buy MS media, hormones and bleach and agar. Although I do not buy MS media because I work in a chemistry lab and can prepare it, I checked the prices and the kits are not expensive at all :)

Hmmmm..... Chemistry lab.... hmmmm......

And I'm always saying, "We're a lab... we can synthesize it."

thanks klasac and crissytal.
I didn't realize additional media was that cheap.
However, with college expenses right now, i wouldn't be able to afford my rent and would have to grow cps out of a cardboard box ;)

I also work in a lab, but have always felt too guilty to take some giberellic acid or ms media for my own personal use. I guess i could pay them back, or something.

Crissytal: yes - for one dollar you get packet for one liter of media. For TC diluted MS media is needed, which makes it 3 liters or more. For one glass you need 30-40ml, so for a dollar you can make hundred samples. Agar for liter media costs 30cents. So unless you want to use phytohormones, PPM or other specialties, making TC is cheap. Bigger issue is how to maintain sterility. I do not have hepafilter hood because we are organic chemistry lab. I just clean the working area and use all the precausions needed. I hope you have a lot of luck and that you will share your experiments with us:)

CPlantaholic: you want to pay for miligrams of ordinary salts? If for example 2pounds of ammonium sulfate costs 3 dollars, I wonder how much they will charge you for 45miligrams:) Dont feel guilty:) We use TC for phytoremediation, but not on CPs. Good luck if you decide to try it:)

Hi! I am here with some more:)

d. burmanni seedlings (one month old)
burmannii.jpg

d.anglica (got yiest contamination from the beginning, but seems like she dont mind it, 3and half weeks old)
anglica-1.jpg

d.ascendens sprouting
dascendensexp62weeks.jpg

d.ascendens (6days old seedlings)
DSCF0010.jpg

newly observed bud initiation on flower stalk of d. affinis
affinis-1.jpg

Mind Blowing.

and I'm also super jealous.

Good luck to you TC'ers :)

Back