What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. madagascariensis Flowers, Self?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A few years ago I had a plant flower. The pod, however, had no seeds. Were my conditions not optimal or did I need to hand-pollinate or did I need to have another plant? Another is sending up a scape. What should I do?

Picture008-12.jpg

hey jim, D. madagascariensis is self-fertile and can self-pollinate, but it never hurts to help them out occasionally. However, mine have always shot up into my light fixtures and burn once they've flowered, so I haven't been able to collect viable seed yet :(.

Not sure, mine flowered and I have 2 little seedlings that came out, but I also had some roots break off during repotting which I just threw into the pot with the new soil. So... Could be either.

Most South African Drosera will self-pollinate but outside of D. capensis it is hit-or-miss. It helps to hand pollinate but even then it is hit-or-miss - just better chances of a hit.

Drosera regia helps if you take day old pollen.

Most South African Drosera will self-pollinate but outside of D. capensis it is hit-or-miss. It helps to hand pollinate but even then it is hit-or-miss - just better chances of a hit.

Drosera regia helps if you take day old pollen.
While I'm not familiar with this plant, 2 issues come to mind with pollination - even if self-fertile:
- inside a terrarium or very humid spot, pollen sometimes does not become friable and won't transfer from stamen to stigma. Many of my self-pollinating, self-fertile dews won't produce seed inside a terrarium...
- iirc - with D. regia (like VFTs), the stamen becomes receptive after the pollen becomes mobile. This may be true with other dews...

Sure wish we had a web-based reference with all of the dews and their pollination, fertilization status. Most dews are both self-pollinating & self-fertile. However, there are lots of exceptions & special cases... Petiolaris complex is neither, D. regia is self fertile but not self-pollinating (?), most D. binata's are not self-fertile iirc (w/ exception of one small red plant that becomes a weed), the 'sisters' rarely produce seed at all (not self-fertile?, conditions too humid for mobile pollen?) & on & on ... Hey Aaron - sounds like a great project (hint - hint) ....

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to try hand-pollinating. I understand that pollen is produced continuously for a few days. Is that right?

Hey Aaron - sounds like a great project (hint - hint) ....

haha. aww man, I actually tried starting that a while ago, but ran out of time. I'll try to work a little at a time to finish this one.

Back