What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis propagate questions.

I got one big Albino Capensis right now and I really wonna get more off it but I have never done any propogation with droseras at all.

What is the best way to do it? plz explain good.

Thnx in advance!

You can cut off a leaf, put it in water, and wait. You can also wait for seeds or unpot the plant and cut one or two of the thick roots, and plant them in peat or sphagnum. Root cuttings are the fastest, seed is the most fun. :)

Oh Cool some new technics I see then hm can you explain the root cutting a little more how to do it exactly :p Would make me glad.

D. capensis, hmmm that's a tough one :D I don't even try to propagate mine, once an old but live leaf touches the ground it makes a baby plant, and after it flowers....heck you'd have to run for your life!

Yes but atm I dont have more than one :p

So I just cut 1 or 2 roots off att the end off the plant then place them in some media with the cutted end up then ?

root cuttings do work xeno, but leaf cuttings work rather well as well.
As clue said you just cut a leaf off and place it in water. it works, ive done it lol.
this process generally takes 2-3 weeks, its that way with root cuttings too.
or you could also wait till it flowers, because once it does you will have more capensis than you know what to do with, they are a weed.

Ok thnx alot for the fast info on this :) Il make some cuttings for funn and wait until it flowers then.

I think the most reliable and immediate method for D. capensis is stem cutting. Wait until the plant is tall enough that there is stem exposed between the leaf nodes, then simply cut the top off so that you have a good length of stem and mature leaves, and few healthy leaves left on the base of the plant. Pull the bottom few leaves off the cutting and stick it into the media - you can put it right next to the old plant, or in a new pot entirely. Treat it like any other adult D. capensis, but keep the water level a little high until it begins to grow actively again. Bright light is more important than usual when getting plants established.
Many of my older capensis plants get tall enough that they grow big pink air-roots along the length of the stem. If I take a cutting with some of these young root nodes on them, usually they won't even miss a beat. They don't lose their dew, even temporarily, and continue to grow at the ordinary rate. The rootstock usually sends up more than one new node to replace the one that was cut, and they grow much faster than leaf or root cuttings.
~Joe

thnx alot seedjar u made my day :) This seems to be the fastest for sure and cool that it can be more nodes iff i cut like u did say.

I understand the flower stalk can be used as well. I recently cut one of mine into 1 - 1 1/2" pieces and stuck them in some mix. Let's see what happens!

thnx alot seedjar u made my day :) This seems to be the fastest for sure and cool that it can be more nodes iff i cut like u did say.

Strictly speaking, you'll get more plants from a single round of successful root or leaf cuttings. But stem cuttings mature more quickly (or, basically, are mature as soon as they recover from the shock of being cut.) For me, it's much easier to wait until my plants all have air roots, make cuttings of everything, and double/triple my stock with a day's work repotting than it is to wait several weeks for cuttings to bud and then nurse the clones to adulthood. With stem cuttings, you essentially get two slightly weakened plants of the same maturity as the one you started with. If your plants are already mature and healthy, and your conditions are good, stem cuttings are simpler and faster than other methods.
If you're going to be repotting anyways, by all means, try root cuttings. They're almost as good as stem cuttings, but you have to uproot your plant to get them, which I think is a pain. Sometimes, if I have one really mature plant that doesn't seem to be putting out new nodes, I'll make lazy root cuttings by taking a butter knife and plunging it into the media a few times an inch or two from the base of the plant. The injured roots usually send up new stems. But I always trim the roots when repotting and use the scraps for root cuttings, because they're just that easy. Cloning from leaves takes more work. It's definitely a skill worth developing, but it takes longer, is touchier, and what you get are essentially especially-vigorous seedling-sized plants.
If your plant is healthy and producing air-roots like I mentioned, stem cuttings might not be a bad idea. But don't do it unless you're sure that your conditions are good; with an albino capensis, you can't necessarily tell if your lighting is bright because the plants don't redden up in high light. If you're uncertain of your conditions or your plant is still young, leaf cuttings might be a better way to go. Making a mistake with a stem cutting can mean killing both the cutting and the mother plant; leaves are much easier to come by. At this point, you have time to experiment, but few plants to spare. For me, I've got entire rooms full of plants to look after, so I don't have time to deal with nursing leaf cuttings. But if you're patient and attentive with it, it would probably be a good experience for you.
~Joe

Hi again really nice info. all other my drosera turns red in under my lights so i guess it should be ok for my albino capensis also then. So this steam cutting might be alot faster then. And Im also starting to get alot off plants since I cant get enough off them hehe.. Did move some trays out for starting dormancy kinda nice to get ridd fo them for a while hehe.. Btw maby u could post a pic off your plant room seedjar :)

Xeno,
You've gotten a bunch of good advice above.

For fun & to get lots of plants, check out this thread. This method works for many of the dews. Once you get comfortable going through the process, it's crazy how easy it is and how many plants you can get. To save space, I now usually use test tubes of water since I can line them up on my windowsill (I have eleven tubes up there right now).

If you keep it alive for 6-12 months it will probably flower on you and you'll have plenty of plants from seed.

Otherwise root cuttings work best for this species. Typically any Drosera with long thick roots will propagate readily from root cuttings. Healthy root should be blackish with white tips. Take about 2 inch pieces and plant them horizontally under no more than 1/2 inch of media in a covered pot (or sealed in a plastic bag).

/\
/| \
|
|
what he said

ive gotten fully mature flowering plants within 4 months doing root cuttings.

Im gonna write these nice tips and hints down for later use also. I really appreciate all help you guyes give me it sure helps alot.

Back