What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone familiar with Drosera fulva?

I just got a D. fulva in the mail and it essentially looks like a clump of swept over grass in wet peat mud, is it dormant?

Any tips for how to grow this?

All I know is that it is in the Petiolaris complex and has a range of Northern Australia.

Range:
800px-Drosera_fulva.svg.png

That also means a lot of heat required.

I got one too. Think I saw Crystal from here bought one also. (Saw feedback that I think was from her.)

It is not dormant..... I'm going by the other Pet plants I grow and how they look when dormant.

Just grabbed my book, Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol #3 by Allen Lowrie. It says that the plant will have glabrous leaves when in active growth (no hairs). When dormant it will form white hairs all over the leaves.
From pics I've seen the leaves look like grass blades with a small disc at the end of the leaf with the sticky tentacles.

You're right elgecko, I just bought two as well. I believe this is the deal on them, they were bought from a wholesale company that sells them in flats of 72 plants per flat. The seller didn't wait for the plants to acclimate and start growing again before selling. Mine arrived in pretty bad shape. Petiolaris complex dews don't ship well in general when they are actively growing and healthy to begin with in my experience. I don't know how they arrived for you guys, but mine were very badly packed. The two little sheets of newspaper that were in the box can't even be counted as packing material. The plants beat themselves fairly well during shipping as the box was fairly large and there was nothing to prevent them from banging around. Mine are looking quite sad right now. I ordered two, figuring one would die because of the auction description 'shipped bareroot' and knowing the chances are extremely high that she purchased them from a particular wholesale vendor (the plants had just been released for sale from the vendor, they haven't had any chance to acclimate). They may be going semi dormant as a reaction to shock. Who knows ???. I won't be buying from them again :).

Crystal

Cool, I'm not alone experimenting here! :D

I put mine in peat/NAPA mix and set in a tray of water with the other dews, is it OK in water or should it maybe be out of water? These kinds of dews have a desert-like dormancy at some point in the year do they not? Is that our winter or summer... Is it like Namibian succulents and growing when It's cool with short days? All my South African succulents seem to be growing & coloring up now...???

I like that it has the little traps at the ends just none of the leaves are actually standing up. Mine has a flower stalk on it which is standing up, though none of the blooms are open. There do seem to be white hairs in the dead center of mine but it's not covering all of the leaves. I suppose a photo is in order even if it's not pretty.

Boink:
droserafulva.jpg

Well based on what Crystal said I am pretty sure I know the source material for these and you should all find that the plant is pretty robust. If you guys have not already read my "How I grow Petiolaris Drosera" thread then I suggest you search it and read it :) then you will have a much better idea of what you need for it. Mine grew like a weed under those conditions

Have fun

From what I've heard it's kind of typical for a petiolaris to look like that after postage. Lots of heat + decent humidity = healthy plant, from what I know, though I've never done petiolaris before.

Yeah that would be my post. My photobucket got scrambled and I never got around to reuping all the pics. Plus they were out of date anyways. Now it is just a 10G set normally with a plexi top over it.

I set the heaters to 86 or higher. And they were on the timer with the lights.

The original source was not A.S. but based on Crystals description that is the direct source of yours.

I keep my few woolies directly under T5 lighting for the heat. I have read that up to 110F is nothing for them. Mine don't stay quite that warm though. I would say anything from 80F and up is good. Mine drop down to room temperature at night, around 78F. I don't do anything for humidity. I used to worry about it, but not anymore. I grow all of mine in a sand/peat mix. I use at least 50% sand. I'll see about taking a picture later.

I wasn't sure if I could mention A.S. or not. Yes they are the source of our plants Swords from the best I can tell.

Crystal

"It's dead Jim!"
-Doc McCoy, Star Trek
dead-jim.jpg

Brown and mushy this morning. waaaaa! :(
Must be the fastest a new arrival has died on me, not even a week.

Hmm perhaps we aren't supposed to mention it, I forget stuff like that.

Promised pictures:

Left side of 10 gallon tank:
IMG_4779.jpg

Right side of 10 gallon tank:
IMG_4780.jpg

Certainly nothing fancy. I try to adjust the water so those that are dormant or going dormant can tolerate it. I had losses when I was trying to constantly move them around from wet to dry. Now I just compromise and it works great!

Sorry to hear yours kicked the bucket :(. I ended up with three plants total. I divided the plug that had two plants. If mine survive you are welcome to one. I'll ship potted ;).

That's what I wanna do with one of my plant shelves!

It's very kind of you to offer me one of yours - I don't think I could accept unless we did a trade or something but I may buy one again later, in springtime. I think it may have been just too cold since the D. adelae that I ordered with it also melted down. The last time one of those showed up (in some live moss) it grew like a weed. I thought it was still warm enough to order tropicals - I'd received Neps from Germany in mid December years back and they all survived but I guess my plant shopping by mail should be done for this year.

wow, what an awesome tank crissytal!

sorry you already lost yours swords! Do you have any ideas of what happened? It looked pretty good in that pic you posted

Back