What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae Runners [PICS]

Now I know these guys come from roots of the mama plant. I got two from Lowe's, killed the mamas, and just transplanted lots of babies today.

But when I was digging into the soil, I saw plants growing off a mama leaf?! Is this common?

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

By the way, I'm not too sure they're going to survive after the repot. I couldn't even find any roots!

Plantlets from leaf cuttings is common with many Drosera species.

Just "plant" the leaf with the plantlets connected. They will eventually form roots.

Plantlets from leaf cuttings is common with many Drosera species.

Just "plant" the leaf with the plantlets connected. They will eventually form roots.

Wow. When I read about leaf cuttings for propagating new plants, I always thought roots grew out of the leaf and then plants grew from the roots. This is nuts! Plants are the man.

Those will also grow out of pot drain holes underwater! Leaf cuttings grow easily too.

It looks like there is a root in the first photo.

Sometimes they form roots before the leaf shrivels up, sometimes they don't. If the plantlet forms a root and there is still a significant amount of green leaf left with other plantlets you can carefully remove the rooted plantlet to pot up.

Survivability naturally is greater when they are rooted.

It looks like there is a root in the first photo.

Sometimes they form roots before the leaf shrivels up, sometimes they don't. If the plantlet forms a root and there is still a significant amount of green leaf left with other plantlets you can carefully remove the rooted plantlet to pot up.

Survivability naturally is greater when they are rooted.

Heck. Maybe I should have waited before repotting. None of them are showing any signs of dying yet, though. :banana2:

Back