What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
So those of you wondering if Drosera admirabilis propagates from runners I think we can safely say the answer is "yes":
PA280087.jpg

Drosera regia - clone R1 (left) and clone "C" (right) up to the middle of summer they were about the same size. Then the clone R1 started to grow progressively smaller. Then a few weeks ago a new growing point sprouts out. You can tell the old point by the blackened stumps of the dead leaves that were trimmed off. The last photo is the R1 from October 2008.
Yes, they should be repotted. At least I found a way to kill Utricularia bisquamata - let your South African Drosera out grow it!
PA280077.jpg

PA280079.jpg

01300022.jpg

Drosera aliciae towards the end of summer a couple plants decide to divide. Compare the last two photos - the last photo was taken again in Oct 2008. The two plants that are cutoff on that photo are the ones that divided.
PA280089.jpg

PA280081.jpg

PA280081.jpg

01300024.jpg

D. madagascariensis - there were three plants in the pot. One was about 4-6 inches while the other two were 12-18 inches. Since the small plant started to decline in the middle of summer I cut it down to the root to see if it would regrow. Then about a month ago both of the longer ones start to decline but after a week one of them starts coming back. This weekend I was going to cut back the one long plant that hadn't come back. Then I notice new growth in two places on the old stalk. And it looks like the plant I had cut back is growing out - along with either a hitch-hiker or runner. Cut plant was dead center in the pot. You can see the now dead top of the cut plant at around 10 o'clock on the last photo. I planted just in case it might root.
PA280083.jpg

PA280084.jpg

PA280085.jpg

PA280086.jpg

South African Drosera are certainly prolific and except for the winter growers are not very demanding environment-wise. Some of them are prone to crashing at random for no apparent reason. My advice is if they do crash to not dump out the pot for at least a year. You never know if they'll spring up again.

As always, great shots and cultivation(al) skills! <---I know that's not a word, but maybe it'll catch on ;)

I've had the exact same D. mad.. experience. I wish my regia would send out more than one plant.

Hard buggers to keep down. I've had more than one pot look dead then throw out some shoots after a couple months. Reminds me it's time to repot the regia, poor thing has been in the same pot for....... a while. The roots have to be cramped. Nice job growning !

great drosera, unfortunatly i lost a lot over this past summer while i was vacationing and the person watching the house didnt water enough. My regia is still doing great though! Jimscott, when i repotted my regia i did not take root cuttings, but laid a few roots horizontally and covered with a thin layer of soil. Those roots eventually sprouted and formed independant plants, might be something to try with your regia if you wish to repot it to get more.

So those of you wondering if Drosera admirabilis propagates from runners I think we can safely say the answer is "yes"

lol

Thanks for sharing the pics - they look very healthy.

Now if only my D. admirabilis was that large... they've been in suspended animation for the last month.

Your regia looks great! I've always wanted to give that one a shot, are the myths true about how finicky it can be? Your C clone doesnt seem to be...

Back