What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera snacking on betta pellets and baby crickets

Hey all :)

I'm still playing with my new camera, so here's a few more pics -

Each betta food pellet is about 1.5mm diameter, maybe 2. The ones the adelae plantlet is eating are crushed bits of a betta pellet.

They should be digested completely in 1-2 weeks (less mess than using bugs too). Does anyone else use betta pellets on their sundew?

I did feed some pellets to the capensis, but I thought the shot with the crickets might be a little more interesting.

I should post my photos from last year. I was experimenting with vegetarian alternatives for the sundews. I found that beans, nuts and Boca burgers are a great choice. Avocados aren't, only because they dry out, and then the plant looses interest.

I gotta upload the images, I'll post the tomorrow, maybe.

Nice pics! your plants look great
Yes, I used Betta pellets (crushed up) a lot last year, when i had time to feed them. For fun, here's a pic of D. admirabilis 'Ceres' curling up around several pellets:
Admirabilis_curling.JPG

higher res:
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/admirabilis/Admirabilis_curling-1.JPG

I've been using freezed dried bloodworms for sundews and butterworts, and reserved Betta pellets for young Neps.

We have feral cats in the area.....

I found that *live* fleas don't make good butterwort food; they are so slick, they just walk right off the leaf!

Back