What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A yay and an oops

Yay:
One of my drosera dielsianas is flowering already. :D I have only had it for a little over a month and fed it betta pellets (thanks Aaron) 10 days ago.

d_dielsiana_flowering.jpg

Oops:
This is what happens when you give a drosera adelae plantlet more food than it can chew (crushed betta pellets) - I misjudged horribly:

Before:
d_adelae_plantlet.jpg

Just after feeding:
d_adelae_plantlet.jpg

10 days after feeding (today) - I'm pretty sure this one's a goner:
d_adelae_plantlet_overfed.jpg

Yayoops! Congratulations on the flower. :D And I'm sure the adelae will come back by roots.

I do have two other sets of adelae roots planted just under the soil that may yet sprout something.

And hey, I learned something about adelae body mass vs betta pellets. Learning experiences are good. ;)

Very nice on the D. dielsiana flower! Don't feel bad, I've done the same thing when feeding Drosera. It can be especially difficult on seedlings. There's a fine line between too much and just right. I wouldn't get rid of it just yet. It is possible for it to recover, or make a new plantlet from the roots.

1) never feed more than one leaf at a time
2) clean off remains when the tentacles open. Magnifiers, microsurgery forceps and small watercolor paintbrushes are a must. If you can't find microsurgery instruments (surgical/dental supply) try small eyebrow tweezers.

2) clean off remains when the tentacles open. Magnifiers, microsurgery forceps and small watercolor paintbrushes are a must. If you can't find microsurgery instruments (surgical/dental supply) try small eyebrow tweezers.

err, what if its naturally caught ?

If it's naturally caught you're not feeding it. Clean it off just the same when it's done eating (or if mold starts).

Adelae is usually bomb proof, I left it outside in frost and it is still growing. I wouldn't brother feeding it not matter how big or healthy it gets, there is just no need.

Nice flower too, congrats!

If they are catching food on their own there may not be a need to feed your carnivorous plants. However Thomas Gibson observed in field studies and experiments that "well-fed plants photosynthesize at higher rates, grow faster, flower more, and survive longer"*.

*Gibson TC. 1983. Competition, disturbance, and the carnivorous plant
community in the southeastern United States
. PhD thesis, Salt Lake City, UT,
USA: University of Utah.

oops, i guess that's why I almost killed my alicea last time with that other fish food..... I did it again a couple of days ago bith beta pellets thingking it would be better.. but I fed 3 leaves. :0o:

and congrats on the flower. :-D

Back