What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dew that is D. schizandra

very nice plants everyone.
I love how they look as hearty than dandelions in nature.

Well, I've been watching this topic and thinking "I should really put my words in there!" but I'm far from a pro-grower, but I would say I've been successful. Although, I need to stop physicing myself out and do some transplanting and propagation attempts!

(heck - Andrew somehow found a way to keep them happy in the middle of the Arizona desert!!).

With that said, I guess I really need to get a post in :)

When I first got my plants from Blake when he drove down and visited me they looked like this (3/17/2009)
0317091752.jpg

A better picture about 10 days later

P1010035.JPG

I put them where I was growing my D. prolifera (second level shelf near the cooler) and pointed some cooler fins toward this area to make it a tad cooler than before. I would say this rack barely got any direct light, but if you know how twin wall poly works, you know it does pretty good at diffusing light for lower level shelves. It grew pretty good there, but I only really realize how good when I go back at look at the above picture!

By 4/6/09 I had something like this going on (note: the one I put in the little thing that I'm holding the lid up on, did not last... I did that in response to hearing about how they need such a high humidity level...)

P4060157.JPG

By about 5/8/09 I had this going

P5080261.JPG

By the end of Sept/start of Oct somewhere I was very kindly offered some more D. schizandra plantletts... Here are the new guys and my current ones at that time.

PA010603.JPG

Then finally toward the end of October I had to rearrange my whole g/h set up in order to get ready for cooler temps. I heat one g/h and the other do not. For summer my highland plants were just on the south side of my main g/h (opposite of the schizzys) where they also get direct air from the swamp cooler... These areas do pretty good at staying just under 80f in the day and cooler at night so highland is actually working pretty good for me!

Anyway, highland plants were moved from the main g/h to my smaller one which mostly held sarrs, I also move most of my vfts here for dormancy. The humidity in the main g/h for some reason is much lower than the smaller g/h. During the day it is somewhere around 30% for the most part, and it of course rises at night to somewhere around 65+% Everything looks good so I've never really messed with the fogger timer or anything to bring it up. In the smaller g/h, the humidity tends to sit much higher but I can't say I've seen any difference in the schizandra since moving them. Over there they sit on a top shelf in direct sunlight, but there is less hours of good sun through the day since this g/h sits between two houses but some direct sun none the less and definitely plenty of light to color up my Sarrs if you've seen pictures before.

This is my D. schizandra as of just now... The day temps are about the same (around 80is or just below) and nights are even cooler since this g/h isn't heated cept by a oil filled heater to keep it around 40-45f or so.. but so far most nights in there have been around 55ish.

1116091317.jpg

And here are some D. prolifera that I keep pretty much right next to it (and a D. adelae that doesn't seem to like the same spot and conditions as well).

1116091318.jpg

I hope my experience on this very lovely plant can help someone out there in some way... And maybe give new found confidence in those who have written the plant off as a lost cause!

Andrew

PS- the dates are the best I can figure out, but no promise of their correctness!

It will help me out! The formula seems to be relative coolness and more diffused light.

Looking great Andrew! Congratulations! :hail:
Although, I need to stop physicing myself out and do some transplanting and propagation attempts!
One of the great things about schizzies is their ease of propagtion. They seem to like to keep at least some of their roots around the surface so you'll often find 'volunteers' popping up anywhere. If you really want more, lay roots or leaves in high-humidity, live LFS under diffused light & then prepare for lots of babies...

This is yet another reason why I find it odd that both prolifera & schizandra are not more common. Both of them are some of the easiest plants to propagate ... :scratch:

Although I tend to prefer root propagation, here's a pic showing plantlets starting to come out from some leaves in live LFS:
Dschizandrababies040107RS.jpg

.... and then later ...
Dschizandrababies050807ARS.jpg

It will help me out! The formula seems to be relative coolness and more diffused light.

I would honestly call what I give mine more of a bright, but diffused light. Maybe once I get them propagating, I'll try some in a more shady location but they seem to be doing so well, I have a hard time trying something different! But as mentioned earlier, in naturally they could easily get more or less than whatever we give them, mine definitely have more red than a lot that I've seen.

Looking great Andrew! Congratulations! :hail:
One of the great things about schizzies is their ease of propagtion....If you really want more, lay roots or leaves in high-humidity, live LFS under diffused light & then prepare for lots of babies... Although I tend to prefer root propagation

Awesome thanks for the information :)

This is yet another reason why I find it odd that both prolifera & schizandra are not more common. Both of them are some of the easiest plant to propagate ... :scratch:

I'm definitely going to try and work on that :) I recently got a nice number of D. prolifera as well to work with from somebody else. :hail:

Andrew

I think a lot of us generalize sundews with bright light. Right now my "3 Sisters" are at a window sill, where it will draw cold from the window and warm up on sunny days, aided by a little greenhouse action, with a berry container on top of them, which will also keep in some humidity. It's ugly but it works.

Back