What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dew that is D. schizandra

I've had it about a month now I guess...
Not the caliber of most I've seen here, but give her time
schizzy11112009.jpg

knock on wood, so far she seems happy :boogie:

Soooo how do you grow yours?
(taking notes :) )

She's a hard drosera to please. :) She looks healthy though, so good luck. :)

Not bad. I would get one myself, but I hear they need hyper-humidity to thrive.

Not bad. I would get one myself, but I hear they need hyper-humidity to thrive.

I grow mine in San Jose, where humidity often hovers at or below the 50% mark. I grow it in my greenhouse in deep shade and seems to do just fine.

Very nice Av! I'm jealous :hail:

Nice job! Mine doesn't have as much dew. It's weird in that sundews, characteristically require decent lighting to display dew, and yet, this species is suppose to have subdued lighting. Mine pales in comparison:

Picture003-6.jpg

People around here in the LACPS grow them in large brandy snifters or globe fishbowls for the humidity. The examples I've seen at the meetings look great.

Seems like HL/UHL with lower light levels are the common recommendations... The fish bowl/brandy snifter idea has been mentioned by others as well.

I think I'm giving mine more light then most, but so far it seems OK... growth rate is a new leaf per week at the moment. That seems to be on the fast side from what I gather. Hopefully it will continue at that pace. It is about 150% of its original size in the months time.

Currently, mine is 65ish F/80ish+ RH/24" from lights with Live sphag and trich

Av

Yes, and under the greenhouse bench is what I usually hear for lighting. Diffusion from scrim would probably do the trick.

DSC_00070001.jpg

i got these from Jefforever. They are being grown under a bench with a curtain of 50% shade cloth.
DSC_00020001-4.jpg

Based on my previous attempts to grow prolifera and adelae outside i think it is working. I am guessing that this species wants it a bit cooler than does adelea (i have one tucked under here and it inst growing very well)

hmmmmm, now I'm apprehensive about the amount of light I'm giving mine LOL

Av

I would not be. Give you a quick and dirty comparison. With adelea i got it going under six t-12, four foot bulbs over a 10 gallon fish tank. Also had them under two 55 watt AH supply compact fluorescent. Both no problems. Take them outside in partial shade they fried in days. Saw similar things with my first few attempts with D. regia. Figured shade from noon day sun and would be Ok.... nothing doing. My case is sort of special. I have come to the conclusion living at a high elevation area in the sub tropics I am getting some very intense light and probably tons of UV. I really doubt that indoor lighting can compare to the sunshine I get in the noon-later afternoon period (well not unless you got unlimited monetary resources):p .

MTF

This video by Seigfried Hartmeyer should give you an idea of the natural habitat. As I recall some of this is in the "Snap Tentacles and Runway Lights" video if you downloaded that previously.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gEbq_cQ1YM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gEbq_cQ1YM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kewl :)

( I also noticed the mention of laterite)

Av

I have the DVD, somewhere. If not, then Dad took them all.

Oh, DAAAAAAAD!

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

SnAp tentAcles,and rooonway lights!

Nice. The narrator has an interesting accent. Welsh maybe?
Great info - thanks NaN! This is definitely a plant on my want list. Anything to dispel its intimidating reputation is a big help.
~Joe

Siegfried Hartmeyer is German but Continentals often pick up a British accent since that is where the majority of English instructors and speakers come from.

This is definitely a plant on my want list. Anything to dispel its intimidating reputation is a big help.
I'd love to see more people growing this plant. While it may never be labeled as 'easy', it's impressive stature should make it a fixture in any collection that has highland conditions.
hmmmmm, now I'm apprehensive about the amount of light I'm giving mine LOL
Just listen to what the plant is telling you. Unlike Heli's, who can apparently hide an issue for a while, schizzies tell you very quickly when they're unhappy. With their super-broad leaves, and adaptations to deep rainforest growth, they may be the most efficient CP (surviving/thriving in lowest light) but that doesn't mean they won't take some higher light. The problem may be that as people try to provide higher humidity, they enclose the plants, thereby creating a toxic hi-temp environment (aka: mini-solar oven). As with all plants, close observation will help determine what will keep them happy in your conditions... (heck - Andrew somehow found a way to keep them happy in the middle of the Arizona desert!!).

Sensei,

I have maintained the light levels as they were, it just seems so happy as it is :)

:hail:
Av

Hi! Very interesting thread I must say. I love d. schizandra and she is not very hard to grow if you give her what she needs. I grow her together with other queenslands, in the coldest part of terrarium (temps around 20C). She she seems happy and propagates well:
DSCF0004-15.jpg

...and neighbors:
DSCF0010-7.jpg

I wish you all good luck with these beauties! :)

Back