What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmys Sundews, Fall->Spring

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just received fresh gemmae and am trying to provide the best conditions that I can, with what I have. My choices are the south facing window sill or under Grolites on the the rack. I think the sill will give them more of a day/night differential, to go with whatever light shines through the window. In contrast, the grow rack provides artificial lighting and some light that shines through the glass doors, but would be a good foot away from the glass. It was also be led day/night temp differential and slightly warmer than the sill.

Instead of a 2:1 ratio of sand to peat, I am now using a mix of peat and perlite with a layer or peat on top.

This past year, after sprouting, after a few weeks they get overrun by moss and slowly die out or are greatly reduced. Putting them outside for May-> September has been mostly detrimental.

Thoughts, ideas?

I sprout my gemmae in a mix of 1peat/1perlite with a thin layer of 1peat/1sand, the pot standing in shallow water, in a window that receives direct sunshine for about 3 hours a day. When they sprouted, daytime temps ~75F, night is probably closer to ~65F, and they came up in a week or two.

How true is it about light at night interfering with gemmae production?

Back