What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crossing D. Paradoxa and D. Lanata?

Would anyone know if it is possible to cross these two? As they are flowering at the same time, I said to myself, that could make a cool cross, as they are very similar in shape, pincushion type when mature, yet one is thick furry, the other, thin like binata... The only other cross I've ever done was between sarrs... so any help is appreciated :D

Petiolaris complex sundews apparently hybridize in the wild naturally, so why not give it a shot? :D I'd like to see what the seedlings look like when they grow up. Good luck!

Hey bloke!

I'm pretty sure i've seen and heard of that hydris before so its possible!

That's exactly what I am currently attempting to do!

While any cross between petiolaris species 'should' work, I found that some (for reasons completely unfathomable to me) didn't take. Or some would take & produce a full pod of seed and another (maybe even the reverse) would produce 2 seeds. ???

The chromosome 2n count within the petiolaris complex is pretty much the same (depending on the researcher) so crosses are usually successful.

I've crossed D. ordensis, D. falconeri and D. petolaris.

I pluck off the open petals which pretty much solves the problem of getting flowers open at the same time. I then rub the anthers on the stigma and repeat several times over an hour or two. A lot easier then going blind trying to pluck the anthers off and shaking loose most of the pollen. Seed yield is mostly a matter of luck hitting maximum receptivity of the stigma and potency of the pollen.

It's plucking time!

amazing how small they are eh Jimscott, i bought a magnifying glass just for the occasion :p

Could be worse... we could be trying hand-pollinate bladdwerworts! And it takes forever for pods to ripen... unless their brown is most other's black.

Back