What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. graomogolensis ID

One of my plants is putting up a flower scape. Just wondering if anyone might be able to confirm the ID of the plant based on a pic of the flower. Looks like it'll be a few weeks before the first one opens...

The Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder has several photos of flowers for this species.

This thread may help. There is at least one grower who feels that many / most of the D. graomogolensis in cultivation are mislabeled D. ascendens.

Thanks for the replies. The threat of mislabeled D. ascendens is my primary concern. There are fairly clear morphological differences that the flowers should sort out.

Having grown both plants side by side, they have certain differential characteristics. The stalked glands of D. graomogolensis extend practically all the way to the base of the leaf. Whereas D. ascendens seems to have a more defined "petiole" region (excuse my poor use of proper terminology :) )

Here is a older pic of one of my graomo's
d_graomogolensis_1.jpg

recent image of a young plant of mine

now compare that to this pic of D. ascendens from ICPS
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_subtropical.htm

It may not be fool proof, but it does seem to be a pretty good indicator. Most of the time the difference are not so pronounced as these two pics. But still obvious to some degree

My D. ascendens is not quite as dramatic but still inline with the ISPC image

I have seen a few postings of other D. graomogolensis over the years that were obviously incorrect. Some have found their way into circulation as such.

HTH's
Av

Been crazy busy but the plants are almost definitely graomogolensis. Got some good photos of plants and flowers, just need to get them up on the web! The flowers are gorgeous, btw!

Back