What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Availiablity of California Drosera-rotundifolia

Are sundews from California readily available in collections? I am trying to put some in my bog. I would like to put some CA rotundifolia (the highland site) because they are pretty big. How would one go about getting some?

If that fails, I would like D. rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin'-is that one readily available?

BUT, I have D. rotundifolia from Alaska right now. How would they react to San Diego winters? I don't know-probably rot. Does anyone know how big the Alaskan rotundifolia gets?

I have started to think. Rotundifolia needs it WET right? That might not work. Is there anything else that would work in my bog-from California? Where would I get it?

If anyone has some, please let me know.

Thanks!

Well, not sure about your other questions, but how dry is your bog? D. rotundifolia doesn't need to be waterlogged or anything (although it will grow well in those conditions), but it will need to be fairly most, similar to sarracenia or any other CP. If you go to an LACPS meeting, I'm pretty sure you should be able to find the CA rotundifolia or D. 'Charles Darwin' at meetings, occasionally. I'm sure you could put out a request there for someone to bring at the next month's meeting.

Rotundifolia round these parts (alaska) don't get much bigger than two or maybe three inches in diameter. Winters are extremely rough so I would be surprised if it could adapt to San Diego conditions, though who knows, maybe that's the reason they are one of the most widespread carnivorous plants in the world.

The LACPS seedbank has limited amounts of D. rotundifolia seed from various locations in CA as well as some 'Charles Darwin'. Sorry, no "mail" orders and members only. Show up to a meeting. Ivan sometimes has extra plants he gives away or other members once in a great while have extras for trade or sale. I won't know if I have extra seed for at least 3 months.

D. rotundifolia is found in many of the Southern states: The Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi etc. It has been found growing right next to Dionaea muscipula. So try some from those states too.

D. rotundifolia usually doesn't grow a rosette larger than 5 cm in diameter so if they are growing up to 3 inches (7.6 cm) than they are growing quite large for the species.

Ok, so rotundifolia doesn't need wet. My bog will be middling. That is GOOD!

I would try it from those states only I live in CA and have reason to believe that the CA ones are the largest. I have heard of 13 cm diameter.

Thanks for the info on the Alaskan plants. If they grow, I'll trade them out ASAP-but keep one or too and see how they do!

I cannot get to a LASCPS meeting. Could one of you guys please get me some seeds or plants? PM me to arrange details. I will trade or pay for the seeds.

I am getting REALLY discouraged here :help:

To make things even more complicated, could seeds be gotten from the plants mentioned in this thread (not directly)

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=northamerica&action=display&thread=3122

I am 15, so don't know much about this stuff. I will be turning 16, however, and am building the bog for my birthday. All I'm getting for my birthday is support for building my "birthday bog". That--and getting the rotundifolia--are my only birthday wishes.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I forgot to mention:

Thank you for all your help. I know you guys are very good with CPs and conservaiton.

"Your form seems to do well with hot summers. Where did it's population originate? All I can find are plants native to Oregon and California. I think those would need cold nights."

I can't believe what this guy is saying...after all the searching I have done?

I have decided to be content with:

• California rotundifolia
  • "Charles Darwin"
  • Rotundifolia from warm states

Surely this is not impossible!

Back