What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP

Recently purchased a adelae online. Im growing in a terrarium with all specific needs being met. However most of the leaves are dying off and it just doesnt look healthy. On the other hand 2 new leaves appear to be growing. not sure what to do ? help
myplants.htm

You should do nothing.. ;)

Recently purchased a adelae online.

that means its far too soon to tell anything..
just keep on providing good conditions, and it will eventually come around..

when it comes to plants, you need to learn to think in terms of weeks-months-years..not days.

you can tell in one day if your child, or pet cat, is sick, and you can immediately start doing something about it..with plants, replace "one day" with "one month"..

Scot

Im growing in a terrarium with all specific needs being met.

This is assuming a lot!!!!

What kind of soil are you using?
What is your source of water?
What kind lights are you using?
How was the terrarium planted (in separate pots or common soil)?
What other plants are in the terrarium?
Are there signs of insect infestation, e.g., little tufts of "mold"?
EXACTLY what kind of moss are you using?
Are you using any sort of decorative stones?

While it can take a little while for an adalae to adjust to a new environment, your adalae should respond favorably to its new home in no more than a week or two. Sometimes the bottom leaves will die off as it's adjusting; however, you should see new leaves sprout that have adjusted to its new environment.

-Hermes.

I agree that saying that "all needs are met" is assuming alot becuase no one really honestly has a "perfect" terrarium. of course "perfect" isn't required to grow these plants...but anyways..

from experience I'd say its fairly common for adelae to die back after shipping. just give it time and if your providing good conditions it'll come back from roots.

Good luck

re

the bottom leaves are dying off but two new ones are growing.

the bottom leaves are dying off but two new ones are growing.

Focus on that new growth. I have some D. adelae on a grow rack, open tray method, and some on a terrarium. Both environments are doing well by them.

Picture007-14.jpg

Picture001-33.jpg

Picture001-32.jpg

Picture008-15.jpg

uhhhhh what?

i grow temperates mixed with tropics all the time... it wont matter until time for dormancy... otherwise there's not much difference.

I think the answer to this is.... it depends. Sometimes temperates and tropicals mix... sometimes not. It really depends upon the needs of the particular plants being mixed. Some plants won't mix because their natural environments are just too different, e.g., drosophyllum and darlingtonia. Others will play well together until dormancy comes around.

The devil is in the details.

-Hermes.

of course but the difference there is hardly the fact that one is temperate and one isn't.

their are plenty of tropical plants you can't grow next to other tropicals...

of course every individual plant will have specific needs and they should be addressed like that and not purely on the basis that one is temperate and one is tropical...

I'm just saying not to assume you can't grow them together happily for most of the year simply due to how they spend their winters :)

Back