What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally! My Drosophyllum germination success story (and updates!)

Update!

I'm still keeping the one on the left very wet sitting in water the majority of the time (except when I forget)
Andrew

IMG_20110524_162902.jpg

so friggin' cool. Are these able to propagate from leaf cuttings, root cuttings, etc.?

Thanks. I don't think so. ???

Travis - More or less, disturbing the roots of Drosophyllum will kill the plants, its been proven its possible to transplant them but otherwise, any disturbance of the roots generally like i said, kills the plants.
Leaf cuttings dont work AFIK, the only way to propagate this species is through seed...

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5300.html

For what it's worth, I've found the claims of root sensitivity to be a bit overblown. Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, while transporting a young Drosophyllum the pot(s) spilled, throwing the plant and media everywhere. It was a ragged, sad sight. But If I can pull in to a gas station, shove everything back in to the pots and have everything be completely fine after having the stuff spilled out and rolling on my car floor for a couple of miles...

But that's just one man's experience. :)

Andrew,

What is the humidity and temperature like in your greenhouse? I am afraid of killing another two seedlings which just germinated today. :(

TIA!

Wow Andrew that is amazing how you can grow them from seeds to that.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

In just FOUR MONTHS! That's crazy i really want some.

Cindy, I'm sorry I didn't see your post... I hope they're still going for you! These are on the south east corner of my greenhouse so get really strong warm sun and the cooler blows right past them. So I would say the day temps are in the mid to high 90s and humidity hovers around the 40-60% range most of the time. BUT when the fogger runs, it fogs right on top of them...
I will also note, when they were younger, I had them on the second shelf.. so the light wasn't as strong, did it matter? I don't know.

Andrew

I have mine in full sun even during hot days. Just don't let them dry out all the way and they're pretty hardy. The watering is the hardest part. I top water mine every 2-3 days. I have them in a single pot. 14" pots work very well for 1-4 plants. 10" are definately inferior. My plants are about 3/4 year old and some are approaching 11" in height. Very dewy and catching...not as much as d. indica :)

Thanks Andrew and SDCPs. I guess it's trial and error for the moment, and hopefully success in the future. I've just killed the fifth seedling. :-(

Hey Cindy – I started mine in 100% vermiculite just laying them on the surface and covering the pot with a plastic bag. As soon as each seed germinated, I moved them to a mix of peat/perlite (a little heavier on the perlite) and kept them covered until all three had a few leaves. The rest you can see from this thread. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123861

Once they germinate, seedlings seem easy to keep alive for me. Maybe I give them more attention than the larger plants--those are the ones I've been losing :blush:

Back