What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about repotting Drosera capensis “Alba"

When is the best time to repot is it in March early spring if the plant is indoors?

Do these plants require a dormancy ?

Thanks Noddy

Drosera Capensis varieties to my knowledge don't require a dormancy period. I think the best time to repot is just before spring, and into early spring. or thats when i used to repot everything. though i did occasionally repot my drosera capensis through the winter, because my pot has a mix of the varieties, when i get new ones i add them in. when i do this i clean the plant up clipping dead leaves off. usually after the repotting depending on how rapid of a change it is, for mine its not a big change. their outer leaves might die off as they produce new healthy leaves.

i also am sortof harsh with them, but when temps start getting warm enough ill take them outside and ill place them in full sun, when they were in partial sun in the windowsill. it usually takes them awhile, but then all the color variations are shown strongly through their new leaves, and i clip the dead leaves off. Very hardy plant

hope this helps

dustin

Right, no dormancy however D. capensis will die down to the root if the temperatures drop to around or below freezing. The plant should come back if the roots haven't and even then it may. Generally South African Drosera can be repotted any time they are actively growing. South African Drosera sometimes "pause" growth for no apparent reason and this is usually not a good time to mess with them. The exception of course being D. regia which is sensitive to root disturbance. I suspect that D. glabripes and perhaps D. cuneifolia are somewhat sensitive to root disturbance too.

Thank you for your advise

Noddy

Back