What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few Tuberous Sundew Pix.

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Been a while since I've been in the Sundew section and figured I would post a few pix of some of my tuberous dews.
JMatt

dsc03910b.jpg

dsc03912q.jpg

dsc03913xb.jpg

dsc03916c.jpg

dsc03914gz.jpg

This isn't tuberous, but I thought I would add it anyway.

dsc03921u.jpg

dsc03922u.jpg

I will try and get some better shots today if I can find the time.
JMatt

Gorgeous pics Jmatt, bravo :) i must have a D. browniana now...that color and display is outstanding!

fantastic dews, I'd like to start collecting tuberous dews now! I also really love that graom..

Stunning Jeff :)

any words of wisdom on conditions and substrate oh wise one of the north?
Av

(the graomo's looking happy :) )

awesome,

really really great job :)

*major drool*

I wish I could keep a sundew alive.
Great plants!

Awesome! :) I'm especially fond of erythrorhiza and graomogolensis. :) Are you propagating for sale or trade or is this your personal collection?

By the way, I love the label idea. Did you use one of the commercial labelmakers to do it or some other means?

Oh my.. sweet stufff...!! all so pretty :D

Nice tidy plant tags, hahaha. Makes mine look like bits of cut up curtain and scribbles. Which they are.

Excellent job with the tuberous. I can't seem to handle these species...

very impressive!!! They look like beautiful gems
yes, I wouldn't mind if you shared your conditions either for your tuberous sundews ;) - mainly temperature day/night or seasonal differences.

I like that zonaria myself!

Hello everyone,
Sorry I haven't replied to anyone, but I had a very close cousin pass away from cancer and I really haven't been quite myself.
I will try and give some cultural info on my Droseras.
Most of my tuberous sundews I have had for probably 4 or 5 years.
Some of the plants that say Lowrie on the label I got last winter.
They were just coming out of dormancy when I got them. I grew them for a short period but Spring was here and they went dormant again. I had to give them a short growing season and dormancy so they would come back this winter. They needed to be converted to the northern hemisphere's seasons. They seem to be changing just fine, they are all growing just fine and this is when you want them to grow. They would normally be dormant this time of year in Australia.
They all grow in my basement where it is nice and cool, (50's). I have them under a four tube T-5 fixture, The soil they are in is just peat and sand, roughly 50/50. I keep them damp but not waterlogged. When the temps start coming up this Spring they will all go dormant again and I let them dry up. I usually wait about a month after the top growth dries up to un pot, because when the top growth dies the energy goes back down to the tuber, and you have to let it rejuvenate itself. After about a month I unpot them and put them all in there own labeled zip lock bag. I store them all in a bedroom in the house for the summer where it is usually pretty warm.
I keep checking them every now and then and usually by fall you will see little eye's starting to form on them like potatoes. When they start doing that I pot them up again and bring them down in the basement again. The cool temps and damp soil bring them right back.
A good thing to do when labeling the baggies they are stored in is to take note of the depth the tuber was at and mark it down. Some tubers I have planted 1 to 2 inches down I find later while unpotting to be 4 to 5 inches down. They seek their desired depth I guess?
They might also be adjusting themselves for the water available. I usually just use the tray method keeping them all in about an inch of water. You really don't have to go threw all this for dormancy, some people just let the pots dry up and keep them warm then start watering again in the fall. That's tricky though, you don't want to start watering to early because of rot. I find it much safer to have it unpotted in a baggie. You see when it starts to grow and pot it up at the right time. I have also had pots that I planted one tuber in turn into five tubers in one season. I know this is a lot of rambling, but it works for me just fine.
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with better formulas for growing these sundews, but if anything maybe this will be of some help for someone. They are really cool sundews!
JMatt

Quick D. Browniana update,

dsc03956e.jpg

dsc03955y.jpg

Although I post little these days, this subject calls on me to address it. First off, these plants are magnificently grown and wonderful to see. I admire a job well done, and these are stunning!

Now I want to turn my attention specifically to Drosera zonaria, although my comments do also apply to most all the members of this section of Droseracae.

Novice growers need to realize the chances for success with many of these tuberous species is difficult to impossible from seed, and only slightly less from tubers that have not been conditioned to growth in our hemisphere. (Also refer to the topic written by Pyro at the top of the page).

As far as I know, there are no sources for ethically grown Drosera zonaria tubers. I will state flat out that any tubers for sale are certainly collected from the wild in Australia. I am not going to open any can of worms by mentioning specific names, but can tell you I have had personal communication from highly respected Australian naturalists mapping populations with GPS that populations that have been around for all their lifetime have vanished, nothing remaining but tire tracks!

There are no greenhouses in Australia growing these plants and harvesting the tubers, or weren’t 5 years ago when friends visited there and so reported. If there are now, I would love to hear of them. Anyone?

The most notorious seller of this material in Australia has no production facilities, and the conclusion of this reasoning should be apparent to all except those that prefer not to think about it.

No one loves these jeweled wonders as much as I, but I would not accept or purchase a tuber of Drosera zonaria unless I knew the producer personally, and probably not then…better it go to a more skilled grower. The plant is endangered, and needs to be allowed to be unmolested.

Yeah, that’s harsh on collectors who want this species and so try to argue that responsible botanists can take some tubers to sell and support their research because they are sensitive to the populations and know the limits. They feel such collection of wild tubers to sell is ethical for this reason. I don’t buy that, and neither should you!

IMO anyone who purchases tubers of D. zonaria contributes to the attrition of populations that need to be left strictly ALONE. These are not plants for even skilled collectors and horticulturists now, and considering the distribution of the populations should have always remained untouched.

Ah, such a pretty sundew! If you love it, please boycott the sale of Drosera zonaria, and any native collected “rare” tubers. Consider the ethic’s of marketing a plant as RARE when you have contributed to the depredation of these “rare” populations by collecting and selling them. Please don’t be a part of the problem.

I just wanted to share my feelings here, and don’t mean this as any attack on growers ignorant of these facts, but will not sit silent while those that know better continue to do what they should not.

that's so unfortunate to hear. are there any steps made concerning tissue culture propagation? or how about creating a program where zonaria can be cultivated to make seed and a portion of these be returned back into the wild? or is that just impractical? you said they were wild collected so that would reduce the chances of having identical plants--i mean, we already do some sort of thing like this concerning Nepenthes. it'd be cool if collectors participated in conservation and in a sense "give back." i know they do this stuff with other organisms such as asian arrowanas.

I really don't know whats considered endangered or not when it comes to tuberous Drosera. The plants I have that are marked Lowrie on the label I got from Allen Lowrie in Australia. He has a cd he sent me with everything he offers, which is a very big list. He has a large form of D. zonara and a small form listed.
He seems to be a very reputable person, writing many books and articles on Australian Drosera. On the cd he sent he shows a picture of his nursery showing him standing next to tons of sundews. For all I know he is offering the extra tubers from his collection? How he got them and if they are endangered this I really don't know? Like I said I myself have had on more than one occasion planted one tuber and ended up with 5 nice sized tubers of a plant after just one season.
Knowing this makes me feel he must be selling extra tubers from his collection. I really do not believe Allen rapes the land for profit.
I also do not know everything that is going on in the world of tuberous drosera.
I'm sure many tuberous drosera are considered rare, but I still do not think Allen sells poached plants. I have bought tubers in the past from other people on ebay of all places. These tubers came from Victoria Aus. Many of the same tubers. This person said they were just selling off extra tubers from their collection? Yes, no? Who really knows? I do know that many of the tubers I got from this person do not grow in that part of the country, so I figured he must be selling extras? Like I said before, I really don't know whats endangered or rare, or so plentiful you can pick like little potatoes? I just bought my stuff from people I figure are on the up and up. Maybe I'm wrong?
JMatt

His ethics have come under question before. I suggest you do some research on the CP UK and ICPS forums. Bear in mind that there appears to have been an acrimonious personal falling out between the parties involved and only one side of the story has been pubically aired.

This is now a bit off topic, but would this growing method work for U. menziesii as well? It's a plant I've drooled over for years, but always been wary of due to the "complicated" upkeep. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Now, back to conservation discussions!

Back