What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing tuberous sundews out of season

Ok so I admit it maybe wasnt the smartest thing to do, but anyway. :blush:
I sowed some Drosera auriculata seed in the spring, its now starting to get hotter (its summer in the southern hemisphere) The seedlings are now all reasonable looking rosettes. Will they all die over the summer? They havent started to grow vertically yet. Will they form a tubour? Has anyone else tryed sowing tuberous seed in the spring? What happened? Can I do anything to help them.

i've never successfully raised tuberous drosera before...however, my gut is telling me that dormancy is not a necessity for the first year of life. i'd bring them in, let them grow out during the year, then set them for dormancy next year when they're established.

D. auriculata is a safe one to start with, they are not as strict about dormancy so you can bring them in and let them keep growing. Do not force dormancy on them. Once it cools a bit, put them outside again and let them get into the normal cycle of things.

i should start growing some tuberous dews i think, im really starting to like these damn things. let us know how they fair over the summer, ill try and keep in tune...id like to know atleast lol.

Thanks for the encouragement its my first attempt at tuberous drosera. I will try and put a pic up. They are currently in a terrarium which doesnt get too hot so maybe they will be ok. Will let you know if they survive.

I am sure you will do fine. As I said, this species is really resilient, I had some growing outside in the summer in Atlanta with no ill effects.

Here is a photo of one of the auriculata seedlings which I sowed in the spring. Im hopeful they will survive as its starting to cool down now with autumn on its way. As you can see its started growing vertically. (Im sure there is a better word for that)

regia003.jpg

D. auriculata is a safe one to start with, they are not as strict about dormancy so you can bring them in and let them keep growing. Do not force dormancy on them. Once it cools a bit, put them outside again and let them get into the normal cycle of things.

tell me about it, ive tried, got a pot full of zigzagia that i gave up and am growing as a houseplant....seems individual plants go in and out of dormancy but there is always something actively growing in the pot.....

Back