What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of the S. Americans

Very impressive Av.
keep up the good work!

Thanks D,

but now that it's started.... it wont stop flowering, and its obviously exhausted
it's sending up the 4th inflorescence
4th ?? Really?? Some of mine look quite happy but none have bothered to share even 1 bloom ... :censor:

4th ?? Really?? Some of mine look quite happy but none have bothered to share even 1 bloom ... :censor:

I dont know Ron, they are still in the same pot and substrate... ???

You are going to love this, guess what I saw just a few mins ago :-O
yeppers, D. villosa is now blooming

D_villosa.jpg

:hail:

Butch

HOW do you do it?! Wow :hail:

What an awesome collection of SA dews... and in flower! Great growing, Av...

I dont know Ron, they are still in the same pot and substrate... ???
It must be the media mix .... :-O

You are going to love this, guess what I saw just a few mins ago :-O
yeppers, D. villosa is now blooming
I actually stopped myself from typing that in my earlier post. LOL.

I seem to recall from threads elsewhere (cpuk?) that some of the SA dews are self-fertile but not self-pollinating - so you might need to do some work ...

I tell ya, if you wanted to help you would have to sit with this plant 24/7 almost. The ascenden has opened and closed a dozen flowers or more and I've only seen 2 or 3 of them actually open to any degree.

I tend/look at my plants several times a day/night... these flowers are either always about to open or already closed when i look

Even if I tried, how do you time such a thing unless you had them right there next to ya... I had been hoping for weeks to get that open flower image for ya

Mid morning does seem to be the sweet spot though....
The dwell time of these flowers has got to be practically nil!

If they seed.... then cool, if not.... meh ;)

Thanks Pet, CP :)

Last edited:
I've heard that D. ascendens is generally good about selfing, but others like D. graomogolensis and D. villosa may need a bit more help...so you may have luck! If you do, you'll have more seed on your hands than you'll know what to do with!

I'm still blown away by your success....

D. villosa has flowered

D_villosa_flower.jpg

very nice! After some experimentation and a few transplantings, my Villosa dwarf is finally producing normal leaves again. Oddly, it has looked like crap (and the portion of the leaf with tentacles has always shriveled up) for 8 months, but doesn't seem to show any signs of dying...

I'll try to find the picture of it in the near future, but I recently placed a clear dome above it to increase humidity a bit, and it seems to like it so far.

And just out of curiosity, do you still have your D. graminifolia?

:0o:

such great care.

This is one of the most interesting and engaging threads I've read in a long time. Thanks for all the wonderful images and info.

xvart.

....And just out of curiosity, do you still have your D. graminifolia?

CP, no... unfortunately I killed it after i forgot to remove it before fertilizing. I tried flushing it but it was too late when i realized what I had done, nothing worked... stoopid mistake

Dev, thanks mate :)

This is one of the most interesting and engaging threads I've read in a long time. Thanks for all the wonderful images and info.

xvart.

Thanks xvart, lots of good input indeed!

CP, no... unfortunately I killed it after i forgot to remove it before fertilizing. I tried flushing it but it was too late when i realized what I had done, nothing worked... stoopid mistake
Interesting - can I take this to mean that normal Heli (& other?) fertilization killed a SA dew? :scratch:

It did this one, and killed it in a powerful way... but to be fair it didn't occur to me what I had done for a couple days
Normally I remove all the dews from the rack before I begin.... this time I forgot one

I've fed them before, but with a very weak mix.... this was not that mix LOL

Beautiful plants. Great photography. An excellent contribution as always.

Thanks for sharing...

-Hermes.

*pulls out the white rhino dung and chicken blood and starts chanting thread necromancy ritual....*

updates please?

no updates, no longer have

they were some of the victims of my plant burnout... i was only days away from getting out completely

I lost quite a few to neglect....

av hangs head in shame...

I'm so very sorry, it really hurts.

I don't have the time to fuss over my collection like I used to. At the least I have seeds of most dews :blush:

Back