What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pygmy in a bottle

DSCN3744.jpg

DSCN3741.jpg

hope these turn out how i intend them to!

not sure your ulr's are working, or im not getting what your showing ???
sorry guy.

I see one, it looks good so far! hope all goes well!

Those are going to look awesome. I'm gonna have to try that now, lol. Very interesting idea there.

ummm...how will you water it?

medecine dropper / pipette.

I'm wondering how hot it will get in there if i put them under sunlight, or if they are destined to fluo only...

Heat and watering...tell me how it goes!

If you have success, and they turn out to be a nice little colony--once they produce those seed like things of course. Let me know! I'm interested.

yeah, i realise that when they make more gemmae, it WILL be a problem... but once established, i assume if i hold it upside down, the roots should hold it in place, and the gemmae 'should' fall out(if teased off the mother).
i'll keep you guys updated!

Yeah...I was thinking about that...but glass? the roots won't hold on to that.

you can use chopsticks and try to hold the soil back when its upside down.

lol, that's how i got them in there in the first place! chopsticks and tweezers, hehe.

When they Produce Gemmae, You could always use a moist Q tip and dip it down in the bottle held by a tweezer and lift out the Gemmae that way. The gemmae will stick to the moist Q tip held by the Tweezer.

someone made a suction apparatus that could siphon the gemmae.

tube-->sealed jar<---straw

you were supposed to draw air from the jar into your mouth, and the tube would in turn suck the gemmae out and into the jar. (dont know if it's possible for the gemmae to fly out of the tube and into the straw...that would be unpleasant)

Just to put the pic into context, that's a 125ml bottle (4.2 ounces), it's only 1.5 inches in diameter and 4-5 inches tall. the q-tip sounds like a plan, i like the siphon idea, but it overcomplicates a simple problem. I believe a screen is used on the suction tube to keep whatever you are sucking up from coming out of the container, like a vacuum and its filter. If ever you go that way, I'd use cotton, cause you don't want to be inhaling any sand that might make it through a metal screen(what would you use? a baby food jar?).

Is it true if you drop a drop of water on the center of the gemmae cluster, they go flying? I can't wait to see that happen.

Mold will get to them soon. They need air circulation and good light.
Gemmae will not "fly" that easy...usually it takes more than just a drop. Collect them will not be easy either.
Keep posting....i'm curious for how long they will survive you experiment. Sorry for the negative post....but i just don't see this working.

Depending on the species, I'm guessing you may have more success with one than another. I know with my first pygmies from gemmae (D. x 'Lake Badgerup', I still thought sundews needed 100% humidity and I grew them in a cut-out 1 liter pop bottle with saran sealing the top. They did great in there. However, D. 'Lake Badgerup' is known for being insanely easy so I could see that other spcs might be a bit more sensitive.

Back