What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.nidiformis.. red??

• Thread starter Feder
  • Start date
Hello..

i´ve got a pot all full of D.nidiformis (they are arround 50) and 4 of them (almost in the center of the pot) turn dark red..

I think that is because the light.. but the others 46 plants are still green... so...
what a ... it´s happening?

it could be possible they have a "red gen" or something like that?

i cant upload any photo until monday ???

wouldn't doubt it. to test whether it is genetic or not (im guessing yes because only 4/50 are exhibiting the trait) you could always cross red with red or white with red to see if the trait is recessive or not, or also if it breeds true.

Hey Feder, one thing that controls redness of leaves is how much food the plants catch. Typically green growth occurs when I feed my plants a lot. When I put them outdoors, they normally always turn green after catching so much food. Are you growing these outdoors, I'm guessing? If they're in the center, maybe they aren't catching as much food as the others?....a complete guess though. You could try transplanting ones that are red into their own pot and see if catching more food allows them to turn green.
Just for comparison, these are some young D. nidiformis that I grew indoors at the time, and hadn't fed for 2 months:
Nidiformis_young_red-1.JPG

But you never know....sometimes there are albino plants that form- it seems odd that you would get that many albinos though. The typical thing is for the plants to redden up- redness would not be the mutation- the albinism would be, as far as I can tell.

Oh thanks for that CPlantaholic, i didn´t know that...(that the mutation would be the albinism and not the red)
Here in Argentina the ussual is the albinism form, in fact... i never hear nothing about a red form here in Argentina...

They are all in my greenhouse... and i have to be honest, i help with feed only the red form (never the less, the green ones catch something sometimes)
I have separate 3 (reds) to see what happen...

I will upload some photos to show you!

sounds good. photos are always great :)

Here the pictures!

But i just post them cause i´ve say that i will do it...
They turn green again!

Here the pics:

Here are all D.nidiformis before separate them
28defeb029.jpg

Then i separate the reds:
28defeb017.jpg

and greens:
28defeb028.jpg

But now they are all green again ¬¬

Yeah, in that case I'd assume they were growing slower than the others and once you separated them, they started growing just as fast as the rest of them. This can be due to cramping or having one or two growing in parts of the pot that might make them grow slower until their roots are much larger, but it can also be due to the amount of insects they're catching. It's fairly hard to explain this concept unless you've tried growing them under lights indoors before, but I'll try to explain it...
My sundews normally all look like yours (green) when I put them outdoors in a mostly sunny location because they're able to catch insects and grow much more rapidly. However, I've never tried growing mine in full sun with no shade at all during the day because my yard has a bunch of trees all over so this isn't possible. When I take them indoors and they aren't catching as many bugs and they're under the light for 16 hours a day or so, this is when they will turn red. I have only seen one or 2 pictures where a grower had his D. nidiformis in full sun on his deck and they were all red and flowering at the same time. I wish I could find them...but just know that all D. nidiformis should have the potential to turn red. I'd bet that if you took some of the green ones inside and grew them under bright fluorescent lights without feeding them, that they'd start to turn red within a month.
Here is a link that shows another picture of D. nidiformis.

Back