What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my time lapse video of scorpoides versus beatle

that is one tough beetle!

did it get away?

ive always wanted to make a video like this. what kind of camera did you use? and what software?

Darn! I was wonder who would be left, Paul or Ringo.

Cool video though.

I've seen wingless fruit flies and the small Argentine ants walk away from sticky traps (Drosera and Pinguicula) countless times. I think a certain size range and the lack of wings to be a definite advantage.

I wanted the plant to win.
I was amazed how fast the tentacles actually moved, especially the ones with out the glue. Are they the snap tentacles?
The camera is a panasonic Lumix ZR1. I used a tripod of course. I set it on the smallest sized photo (300 kb) and set the timer for 10 seconds delay and kept repeating for 35 minutes. Its not really designed to take time lapse. Then I just used a small free program called makeAVI which autamatically turns a series of photos into an AVI video. You can change the frames per second. I set it to 9 frames per second. It also compresses it into a much smaller file so its not like 124 mb or something.
Iv only had the camera for about 10 days so I dont fully know how to use it properly yet but it seems pretty handy so far. I will probably try the same thing again but I want to get sharper pictures so I can make a better video. So another insect will have to die or at least be very inconvienced.

oh wow. i didnt know those little cameras came with features like that..... ill have to check out my girlfiends camera then and see what else it does.

"....or at least be very inconvienced"

i lol'ed :-))

Wow that is a GREAT video! He tried to escape but the other side of that leaf stopped that!

Darn! I was wonder who would be left, Paul or Ringo.

Cool video though.

I've seen wingless fruit flies and the small Argentine ants walk away from sticky traps (Drosera and Pinguicula) countless times. I think a certain size range and the lack of wings to be a definite advantage.

Billy Preston... the 5th Beattle!

Great video, BTW!

Did I spell beetle wrong? spelling has never been one of my strengths.
I want to do more videos but its quite annoying in that I have to manually press the shutter every 10 seconds or whatever. I would like to try capensis but maybe its too slow to see much in 30 minutes or whatever. I can't really be bothered sitting there for 3 hours pressing the shutter. I'v heard that some web cameras can be used for timelapse by using a program through the computer to open the shutter after a given time interval. However my wife will do nasty things to me if I spend any more money on carnivorous plant related activities. So I guess scorpiodes which moves fast will be the best I can do at the moment.

Nah, we're just punning around!

Back