What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Byblis cultivar!

I'm pleased to introduce to you Byblis "David" [liniflora]

810945531_wjxmt-XL.jpg

810976853_VMceB-XL.jpg

This fine plant was first documented in this prior post;

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=byblis&action=display&thread=3214

Grown from seed purchased on 2/12/09 which was labelled as Byblis liniflora from overseas, this fine plant possesses the same pulvinus anomaly that was first-ever documented by Byblis 'Goliath' [filifolia] in 2008. This marvelous cultivar is much smaller (to 20 cm tall) and also forms pulvinus on the leaf axils as well as the pedicels. However, pulvinus formation is unconditional and the leaves move downwards to form a tripod-like support for the plant. Another distinguishing factor is the existence of sessile glands on the shoot apex and leaves, with irregular sessile glands around the pulvinus.

Byblis 'Goliath' [filifolia] does not have sessile glands, which is why sessile glands are not listed in it's official cultivar description. Branching is rare but it does occur in Byblis "David" [liniflora] as well.

Regarding it's flowers, unfortunately a comparision of sepal length to petals shows inconsistance when compared amongst seedlings and clones in cultivation. The same inconsistancies exist in filiament to anther length comparisions. Anther coloration ranges from dark purple to light lavender, depending on the amount of sun it receives. Therefore, one of the the easiest ways to confirm that a plant is Byblis 'David' [liniflora] is the existence of unconditional pulvini and sessile glands. Flower color ranges from a light pink to a dark purple. The backs of the flowers range from white to tan and to white with tan stripes in color. Striped and white flower forms are also known to exist. Equally as important, overall flower color and form is affected by lighting conditions, temperature differentials and moisture levels in cultivation.

810945613_n6QdH-XL.jpg

810945624_nzy6D-XL.jpg

Another important definitive feature is that this form is self-pollinating and copious amounts of fertile seed are easily produced without any assistance, whereas Byblis 'Goliath' [filifolia] required two genetically destinct plants to successfully pollinate.

Also, I've had a few questions from Forum Members about how to go about registering a cultivar. An example can be found here at the FCPS site;

http://www.floridacarnivorousplantsociety.org/samplecultivarform.htm

Happy Growing,

Brian Barnes, 3/15/2010.

Boy that looks delicate! I think I'd kill it!

Can 'David' be propagated by cuttings, or is it seed only?

I'd be interested in this liniflora!

I'm interested in this too. It's like a miniature Drosophyllum that's much easier to grow.

Hi Guys,

It does produce true from seed and cuttings, though cuttings are slow to root...

Brian.

Beautiful plant!
If it's a cultivar, doesn't that mean that all seed-offspring don't necessarily hold the plants traits and can't be called "David?"

Great illustrations!

Thanks everyone.

Nepfreak,

What I'm trying to say is...this is a possible new species. ;)

Brian.

Back