What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betta Pellets, and Betta "Treats" - Ingredients Question

• Thread starter TENroaches
  • Start date
I went to the pet store to get betta pellets to crush up for my seedlings, and they only had ones that came with betta "treats," too. The first ingredient in each is fish meal. Any idea if one would be better than the other, or if the treats shouldn't even be used?

Ingredients:
20ffhb6.jpg

They are a bit different, but I think that either would be fine.

Every adelae I gave betta pellets to stopped making dew and all the leaves drooped. :(

Every adelae I gave betta pellets to stopped making dew and all the leaves drooped. :(

Well, that answers your question I guess. I give my sundews fishflake but I don't have any adelae so I don't know how they would react to that either.

I feed my all of my drosera, including all of my adelaes, Aqueon Betta Food (has a "NATURAL" ingredients/colors stamp on it) that I get from PetSmart, and have great results in all cases.

The adelaes I have in 30-50% humidity DO almost always stop producing dew on the leaf the pellet was on, but it has never affected the adelae's other leaves.

The adelaes I have in 70-90% humidity never lose any dew from being fed these particular betta pellets.

Both the dews outside the terarium and inside the terrarium are under the same fluorescent light, and are at the same distance from the light. Temp hovers around 75-82 F night/day.

None of my other drosera have different reactions to the betta pellets under lower levels of humidity. Which brings me to my bulletproof conclusion:

drosera adelae are all insane.

32247_betta_food_.95oz.jpg

I used crushed up betta sticks for all my dews. They ate it, dried up, and either died or molted afterwards. The rest of the plant started growing great, but that part of the plant I fed didn't do so well afterwards. I spritzed it a couple times to wash the mold off. But it was a real bummer seeing the plants get ugly after feeding them. I'm onto making fruit fly cultures now.

Did you mist the plants right after feeding? You have to moisten the dry food or else the glands dry out. Live prey has plenty of fluids.

My posts usually say to mist lightly after feeding with fish food.

If you still get burn off, use smaller amounts next time.

I would go with pulversized freezed dried bloodworms instead.... and mist them.

The first ingredient in each is fish meal. Any idea if one would be better than the other, or if the treats shouldn't even be used?
One of the ingredients is copper sulphate, which is used as an algaecide in aquariums!

I would go with pulversized freezed dried bloodworms instead.... and mist them.
I've used these too, with no ill effect... and they are 'all natural'

Before, when it was doing great:

C8CnL.png

After, with no change in humity:

BP9O1.png

I also put some in my only nep's pitchers. Luckily it's shown no ill effects. I think I'm going to pitch these pellets.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

One of the ingredients is copper sulphate, which is used as an algaecide in aquariums!

I've used these too, with no ill effect... and they are 'all natural'

Where were you when I posted the ingredients before?! :-(

hmmm that actually happened to me a long time ago when I had my Adelae plantlets growing in very small pots that were too waterlogged. They were doing ok on their own, but when I fed them a fruit fly, it pushed them over the limit. How much water are you using on these guys?

As a test, you need to try feeding roughly the same amount of fruit fly mass in comparison to the pellet and see if it has the same effect on your younger plants.

If the pellets are made in China I'd toss them. After all the flap about contaminated pet food, toys and medical products it seems to me a wise decision. I'll only use the much more expensive Japanese made pellets. Just in appearance alone there is a difference in quality as apparent as the difference between night and day.

Yes, and I've seen D. adelae plantlets crash like that unfed for no apparent reason. It seems to be an enigmatic species - hard to kill but also hard to hit the sweet spot condition-wise where it grows well. Of course it could be that since it is in mass tissue culture that there are just a bunch of weak clones in circulation. It's a matter of the luck of the draw which plant you get.

Yes, and I've seen D. adelae plantlets crash like that unfed for no apparent reason. It seems to be an enigmatic species - hard to kill but also hard to hit the sweet spot condition-wise where it grows well.

You're saying your sig applies to plants, too.

Back