What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Binata Propogation

Vbkid

Getting There...
About a month ago I received a small D. Binata plant from a very generous member of this forum. It has quickly become my favorite new plant and it's growth has taken off. While It's leaves are at most a few inches long, it appears to be doing very well. I was wondering how soon I should try doing leaf cuttings because I would like more of this plant. Also, any species specific advice would be great!

You can use root segments if you're like me (impatient). I really like the forked-leaves dews. :)

Here's Aaron's website on dew propagation.

That is always my first source for information, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to traumatize a young plant by taking pieces from it too early! I do like a root cutting idea, I could do it when separating it into 2 plants anyways.

With a root cutting you will get a bigger plant faster than with a leaf cutting. You might get more plants with a leaf cutting though.

IMG_0014.jpg

i do the same as jimscott. test tubes and the sit them on top of one of my lights. i get about 15 plants a leaf.

thats so cool. where can i get some of those awesome little vials?

would that work with filiformis too?

it will easily work with filiformis. im not sure where to get them, i got mine from rocketcaver. check ebay.

You don't have to use test tubes, per se. Any sealable plastic vessel will work I'm using round, shallow plastic disks right now.

ive tried this water method with sundews a few times now. all i get is slimy rotten leaves after two weeks.... i even changed the water a couple times. what gives?

Millipede, I'm guessing your leaves are getting fried. Have you been placing them on a south-facing windowsill? If so, try an east-facing windowsill and see if you get different results.
The easiest way is to start these under lights, since it expedites the process a bit, and doesn't provide very much heat.

ive tried this water method with sundews a few times now. all i get is slimy rotten leaves after two weeks.... i even changed the water a couple times. what gives?
Ideally, you want newly emerged leaves that haven't caught anything yet in clean pure water (not tap). Since, you're having contamination issues, only one leaf per water container.

hey RL! thanks for the tips. after you mentioned contamination i went and cut a new batch of leaves and shook them in a bottle of water with a few drops of bleach to wash of the bugs and kill all the germs. i rinsed em really good and filled the bottle about halfway up. im happy to say now, two weeks later, im getting pretty good results! not a single one rotted away and i have about 3-4 sprouts on every leaf

or if you have a weedy dew seeding you will have seeds caught in the leaves and they will sprout also....

Another method of getting moreplants quiclyiss to behead the plant about one inch down from the crown
Plant it in another pot. usually have to lie the roots horizontally to get them to sprout The longer the piece of root the more vigorous plant you will get

IMG_3094.jpg

so heres my filiformis leaves in water. i was going to plant them today but when i took them out and set them on the soil i just didnt know what exactly to do. theyre so twisted in so many directions i just put them back into the water... any tips on what to do?

Search for Centrifuge Tubes to find those plastic tubes that he is using.

I use plastic deli cups. Reusable can be bleached. Relatively in expensive (included in the cost of the food :p)

Instead of placing the entire length of the leaf on the media.I would try snipping a couple of the plantlets off with as much of the leaf as possible without cutting the next plantlet. Put them on the media.your choice of stelizing the snippers of scissors

It's hard to get a good picture through a Ziplock bag, but here's another approach:

Picture001-17.jpg

Picture003-19.jpg

This leaf have been in there a week. Note the dew on the leaf

Transferring from a water environment to a pot can have its casualties. So I also employ the pot in the Ziplock approach, which cuts down on the variables. It's also good for seed germination.

Lois: I'll have to check on the centrifuge tubes.

Back