What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it true that Capensis "Alba" can be grown in lower-light conditions?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I read somewhere that Drosera Capensis "Alba" is actually capable of growing in lower light conditions than other Capensis varieties, making it perfect for the windowsill.

Is this true?

Irrelevant, but I've read that alba will go pinkish-red in full sun, losing the alba-quality it is known for...

I have one under a 12w cheapo fluo that came with the aquarium I have it in. It is still kicking, and growing just as well as those I have under three T5HO's. So I'd say, it is possible to do so, but not ideal.

in general, no dew does well in lower light conditions.... except for adelae, schizandra and prolifera anyway...

when i still had my 'Albino' it refused to grow well in low light(aka a kitchen windowsil) but flourished and took over when i put it outside.

Alex

I agree with glider. D. capensis 'Albino' looks pretty crappy in low light conditions.
But- give it some more light and....
capensis_albino.JPG

....you can take some crappy pictures of a beautiful-looking plant!

They do fine at window sills. I have a specimen of albino that is currently sending up a scape. The red variety won't be as red at a window sill. It often looks like a typical.

I have a Capensis Alba growing in the shade with a Nepenthes Ampullaria. It's thriving and producing dew and tons of new leaves.

I grow them all over the place.. they do fine for me anywhere. I have hundreds of them, so they went into everything when I was dividing them.

Back