What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Props to whoever can answer this question.

I know not many of you will know the answer to this question but hopefully someone will. Does Drosera "Indica" require a cold stratification for seed preparation or not?

the correct answer is... 4

7...? purple?

was I close?

Morels, cut it out, will ya? It's frustrating when you're looking for an answer and someone comes in and trolls your thread by posting unhelpful garbage.

On that note: Sorry Spintix, but this's just another post without an answer for you.

massmorels, how is that even helpful? Please review the rules specifically rule #5

5. Think before you post. If there is something that you want to add to the conversation, great, but read what you have written before you post it in a public forum. Make your posts of a contributory nature; don’t waste forum space (for example, don’t post 10 smileys and nothing else). If you have a question, try using the search function first - your query might already have been answered previously.

The above posts are a waste of everyone's time!

Spintix, I believe it really depends on the location. If you have location data it would be most helpful! I believe there is also something about having only one plant per pot, or at least some great spacing. They tend to do something that makes other plants fail, or grow slowly IIRC.

Andrew

okay then.. I'm in a really good mood and was trying to spread some humor. I can see it is completely wasted here.

I do not believe indicia requires cold stratification. I once had indicia green and it did not require it.

IIR, indicia is a tropical/subtropical so requires temps above 55 for optimal growth.

ahh thank you! but do they really affect other plants? i was going to sow them in a mini bog.. would this be a mistake?

massmorels, that's great but make sure you also participate in the topic. There is nothing worse when I'm trying to research something, than trying to wade through posts looking for information to find things like this. A truck forum I participate in comes to mind...

Also, you may wanna take a look at this Spintix http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_indica.htm I don't think I did any type of stratification when I grew them some 7 years ago either.

edit: Other plants" being other D. indica. I had read about it and I think Pyro had commented on seeing the effects of it also. Run some searches on this forum, I'm pretty sure that's where I read about it.

Andrew

I have D. indica growing in a mini-terrarium with several other tropical types (Petiolaris Complex, B. liniflora, Neps...). They don't seem to be affecting other plants adversely. About all I know that's peculiar to them is that they need to be fed early on in order to survive.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Picture005-3.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

nope they dont need cold stratification, the seeds i received pretty much all germinated, however for some unknown reason, the plants just died off before doing much...im assuming they dont like highland temps for some reason.

Yeah, as jimscott mentioned and SirK possibly confirmed, these guys need to be fed, or catch their own meal within a month (or 2 max) of germination (the earlier the better). If not fed, they tend to spontaneously die off.

Other than that factor, they are generally very easy to germinate from seed and they will send out their first larger carnivorous leaves rather quickly.

Back